General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I like hummus ...........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2021 21:24

.......... but not the kind OH has brought home over the last 2 weeks.

First was Thai-style Coconut Curry Hummus ......... Chick peas, Coconut milk (coconut extract, water, citric acid, sulphites), Water, Curry seasoning (chili pepper, garlic, shallot, lemongrass, sugar, salt, kaffir lime, galangal, spices), Canola oil, Tahini, Coconut flakes, Citric acid, Sea salt

Next was Sweet Potato Hummus ............... Chick peas, Sweet potato, Tahini, Water, Sugars (honey), Canola oil, Sea salt, Garlic, Lemon juice concentrate, Citric acid, Cumin.

He bought 2 boxes of the latter.

Last Thursday, he maanged to find the Traditional one that I prefer.

The problem was that the company making these does not change the colour of the label so you can easily see which one you want ................. they just add the different formula in small print under the Naturally Simple label.

If you don't peer and check that that space is empty, then you get all kinds of weird and wonderful variations.

Give me traditional/original/natural or whatever name you give to the plain and simple hummus!

:-D :-D :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 15 Mar 2021 21:36

I am with you on that Sylvia. I don’t know why they have to tinker with things

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Mar 2021 21:52

I quite like different flavoured humuus, especially red pepper or Moroccan varieties.

I've not seen or tried either of the flavours you mention but would probably give them a try if I saw them, but would want that to be an informed choice rather than a 'penalty' for not peering at the labels.
How annoying that the company don't make their labels more distinctive.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Mar 2021 08:09

Yes, I agree with Gwyn. I too quite like the flavoured Hummus like caramelised onion and red pepper. But I want to be able to see what I am buying. It seems Sylvia that it would be easy for somebody with a food allergy or intolerance to inadvertently buy the wrong one.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Mar 2021 09:15

Have to admit, yesterday, after a day of decorating, I read this as:
'I like humans'
'.....but not the kind OH has brought home'

and I thought - yes, I know that feeling! :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Mar 2021 20:56

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Mar 2021 08:27

I only eat it occasionally now but around ten years ago, for a very short while, I used to buy it more often when my younger grandson came to us after nursery school as he liked it.

I stopped buying it quickly when I read about its effect of lowering testosterone levels.

I have not gone into it further - I left that up to his Mum.