General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Streets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Mar 2021 13:35

It looks like the media is running with the current tide of feeling about the sad murder of the young lady in London and that women are hanging on to it as well.However, I am not sure some of their aims are quite in line.

One unfortunate young woman has been abducted and murdered and that is one too many but that does not mean that measures should be taken to protect women from men. A man abducted one woman among all the thousands of people walking the streets which does not make men the enemy.

Young men are being killed on the streets on an unprecedented scale as well, so many that it rarely leads to a news headline anymore.

Yes, measures do need to be taken to make the streets safe, but God knows what will be the answer, but it really is a negative message to suggest that men are some kind of predatory beings who are all a danger to women.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Mar 2021 13:56

I agree, Sharron. One of the problems is that issues get 'conflated' when there's a big media response. There will always be psychopathic/aberrant males within a population who are a danger to women, children (and men). There will always be a Peter Sutcliffe, a John Christie, a Dennis Nilsen, a Christopher Halliwell, an Ian Huntley. Most of the danger to women comes from within, from a partner, husband, friend, ex, and it is perpetrated inside, in 'secret'.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Mar 2021 14:05

For what it is worth my thoughts are that MAYBE males should be brought up to respect and look after women, I don't think a curfew is a good idea.
These are my thoughts and not meant to be confrontational.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Mar 2021 14:10

Someone should have taught my ex that ZZzzz :-(

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Mar 2021 14:18

I really don't understand why some men do that, glad you are safe and away from him now.
My hubby says that there is no reason whatsoever to abuse women and children.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Mar 2021 14:21

Well said Sharron

Police say they are going to put more undercover officers on the streets around pubs and clubs. So that is more men hanging around outside pubs and clubs...............

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Mar 2021 14:37

I am just how can you know if a predator is around

Even in the 1970 ,s when our daughter was a teen and wanted to spread her wings a bit we were ok go to a Saturday night local dance but we will take you and pick you up

She went with school friends she was still in touch with and I picked them up too and dropped them off at their homes

Meant the friends parents too were comfy letting their teen some freedom but knowing they were safe

Unfortunately some awful things happen just out of the blue which is every family nightmare

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Mar 2021 14:40

"When MP Jess Phillips stood up in parliament on International Women’s Day last week and named all the women who have been killed in Britain in the past year where a man has been charged or convicted, it took her over four minutes. There were 118 women, and there will have been more since."

Men killed by women : 0

Drowned statues : 1

Women killed by policemen : 2

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Mar 2021 14:51

The lifetime risk of death is 100%.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Mar 2021 14:55

Another trite bon mot from Dermot.
He may like to consider the risk of an early death, its impact on surviving people close to the deceased and quality of life.

Auxilio Divino

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Mar 2021 15:12

Back in the 1970s I was beaten up by the man I was engaged to, I was out of that relationship very quick, he was divorced and had beaten up his first wife, two further divorces he now lives alone, he said he can't control his temper, in my opinion didn't want to more like. How can they not see that they are hurting someone.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 16 Mar 2021 15:43

I agree it is wrong to tar all men with the same brush.

Sadly, as Sheila said, so much of the violence towards women is carried out by someone they know.

How you protect someone like Sarah though who just happened to be in the right place at the wrong time I don't know!

The bus CCTV obviously caught something that allowed the police to apprehend someone very quickly and I think the police should be praised for this regardless of what they perhaps should or shouldn't have down before and after Sarah's death.

It will be interesting to see whether they can link any other crimes to the person who is in custody.

:-0

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Mar 2021 17:14

You are right Belle.

I was surprised how quickly the police were searching a certain area near Great Chart rather than the more usual situation of seeking clues when a body is discovered by chance.
Sadly each day on our local news brings a report of yet more searches over a wide area and I wonder what else will be discovered.

ZZzzz
Thank goodness you got away from that terrible man.
The trouble for some people is they risk antagonising someone further by trying to leave and there have been several murders by an ex, when women have tried to 'move on'.
Some women feel trapped in an abusive situation for fear of worse happening.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Mar 2021 18:35

Gwyn in Kent, I have been told over the years that I'm a strong woman (I'm in my late 60s now) including by my husband and son, I suppose I am but the way I was brought up was I'm not superior to anyone nor anyone to me and that is how we brought our son up. One boss said to me " don't be frightened of me because I'm a big bloke and an ex policeman" I said you are ex police, my husband is as big as you and I'm only frightened of people that are armed.