General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Piers Morgan.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 8 Apr 2021 17:44

I'm getting 'browned off' with his constant bickering. :-P

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 8 Apr 2021 18:23

Then why do you watch him or read about him?

Sharron

Sharron Report 8 Apr 2021 19:13

Sometimes, when you really hate somebody on television, you just have to watch them.

Island

Island Report 8 Apr 2021 19:58

What does 'browned off' mean Dermot?
or rather, what is the origin?

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 Apr 2021 20:08

Island - 'Browned Off' - there are a few sample posts on the net under this title.

It's a expression I have used regularly since early teens. :-\

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 9 Apr 2021 20:10

Probably the same as cheesed off :-D ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Apr 2021 20:12

Yes, Ihave heard it but not recently. You're right Emma.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Apr 2021 08:25

My Dad used that expression. One meaning I have found

'Browned off' is most widely associated with the British forces, especially the RAF, and is generally dated from around the time of WWII. There's no definitive documentary evidence for that association. Partridge's Dictionary of Slang, 1961 states that it was "Regular Army since ca. 1915" but, as is commonplace with Partridge, no evidence is offered. In Words at War, Words at Peace, Partridge's 1948 collection of essays on military language, he also asserts that 'browned off' "arose in the [British] Regular Army, apparently in India".

all explanations seem sure it originates with the forces (RAF) but don't know why 'brown' is used.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Apr 2021 09:28

Was it something to do with the RAF ribbing soldier about their khaki outfit? Meaning soldiers envied the 'nicer' RAF colours?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Apr 2021 09:44

could well have been Joy

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Apr 2021 12:19

I seem to recall hearing about it coming after the formation of the RAF following WW1 and there being some skits of those who were left with a uniform nowhere near as nice as the RAF or the Navy.

I can't, for the life of me, remember whether I was told or read about it when I was much much younger. :-S

Island

Island Report 10 Apr 2021 15:04

I note that Dermot failed to understand my question.
Should I be browned off or just black list him? :-S