General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Apparently

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2021 11:50

When you (inevitably) have to phone a utility company, or similar, if you're put on
'hold' and there's no music, the person you're phoning can hear you! :-S

The possibilities are huge!

I intend telling corny jokes next time this happens . :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Apr 2021 12:06

I would say how how stupid is that, there isn't any annoying music.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Apr 2021 12:07

I'd say thank gawd there is no c**p music :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Apr 2021 12:12

Haha. I think I'll just sing ---- always know by my Dad as 'Eartha Kitt' voice, they'll answer my call quick smart, I think. :-0 ;-) :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Apr 2021 12:13

Yes, and they can / are recording you!
My Grandson has always said this and I thought he was being his usual self!!

But I've noticed, that when the music is on while I'm in a queue for the GP's surgery eg., the music stops if I start talking to OH. Then it restarts when I stop! :-| :-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Apr 2021 12:20

Jem, record me? Fame at last for me! :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Apr 2021 12:21

If I sing I could clear a complete building in seconds :-D :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Apr 2021 12:21

Joy, all that practising the bows when you opened the fridge door will now pay off ;-) :-D :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 11 Apr 2021 12:22

:-D :-D :-D@ LG

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2021 12:30

Jem, I hope they are recording when the music stops!
I have to admit to having to phone utility /phone companies and Councils a lot recently.
You get the inevitable music, then an automated apology for the wait - at which point I usually say 'Employ more people then, you're making a big enough profit' :-D

Alternatively, I point out that in future, I'll charge £20 an hour for doing their admin.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Apr 2021 17:25

Ah Jem, so the music is voice prompted. Just as well cos the receptionist would be competing with the likes of Elvis if she forgot to press the off switch. ;-). :-D

Allan

Allan Report 11 Apr 2021 22:07

I thought that it is illegal to record a phone call without the knowledge of the person (s) involved.

In WA when you phone a Utility Company, part of the initial message usually says that the call may be recorded for training purposes

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Apr 2021 22:18

Allan .........

we also get that same recorded message for a lot of places, not only council or utility purposes.

I've had when phoning a credit card company.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2021 23:01

They do say 'some calls may be recorded', Allan.
I usually double check, to make sure they ARE recording it!

Talk Talk - who I had been calling a lot when I first moved, actually asked me to 'assess' one of their call handlers.
As I pointed out, she has to cope with a rubbish admin system, and 'Open Reach' turning up (or not) when it suits them, so it's unfair to judge the one (possibly lowest paid) person on the front line of a cr&p organisation!