General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BEWARE ....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 5 May 2021 13:42

"BT" Scammers are at it again.
I've had at least 5 Phone calls from 0208 numbers with an automated message from "BT" claiming they've detected fraudulent activity and will be shutting down my phone line and internet and I must press buttons on my phone!

Fortunately for me we do not use BT and I guessed it was a scam.

These are the numbers so far....

I expect there will be more! :-| :-| :-|

Von

Von Report 5 May 2021 13:44

We’ve had two today as well. Second one I didn’t say anything when I answered and it went off :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 May 2021 13:45

About a day after we had one of those calls - we lost the internet! Gave us a good laugh. There was a local problem, probably following a power cut.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 5 May 2021 13:55

I've no idea if they are listening but I shouted SCAM loudly just in case before putting the phone down.

What I want is a referee's whistle to keep by the phone!
Now, where did Nigel Owens put his when he retired from refereeing International Rugby? ;-) :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2021 14:49

I just had 'HMRC' telling me I owed tax, and the police were on their way.
Have to admit to pressing'1' (it was on my old 'pay as you go' phone), got through to a young man. I very politely asked if I could say something first - to which he complied - and then shouted 'F'--- off' very loudly. Very childish, but very satisfying :-D

Not sure if my neighbours heard me. :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 May 2021 16:33

Well OpenReach is busy with doing away with the PSTN in favour of an all ip service. This is due to be implemented by 2025. One of the advantages claimed by OpenReach is that it will make the current phone scamming impossible ( trans. more challenging ). Hull and Virgin are doing the same.

OpenReach will have hundreds of old phone exhanges in plum sites which they will sell off.

https://digitalwholesalesolutions.com/2019/10/the-bt-openreach-pstn-and-isdn-2025-switch-off/

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2021 16:55

I can see Open Reach actually managing to install my brother's line just on the deadline!

It appears you'll get the new system:
" subject to the availability of the replacement fibre technology."
If your area hasn't got it - tough!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 May 2021 18:04

A popular EE scam doing the rounds :

07486 16015
" your EE account has been locked for security reasons. Please go to
https://myee.verifyuser-now.com/online/"
wed 11:53

Why people fall for this stuff can only be explained by the men and women in white coats it is far from the comprehension of mere techies.

"If you want it, here it is, come and get it
Mm mm mm mm, make your mind up fast
If you want it, any time, I can give it
But you'd better hurry 'cause it may not last
Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
Will you walk away from a fool and his money?
If you want it, here it is, come and get it
But you'd better hurry 'cause it's goin' fast"

Badfinger

Annx

Annx Report 5 May 2021 19:37

Yesterday and today we had BT scam calls and both were before 8.00am!! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2021 20:16

I hope your language was suitably offensive for that time of the morning! :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 May 2021 21:22

:-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 6 May 2021 15:31

Your account has been suspended. (Refrence # 2842158171)

(supposed to be a paypal account)

oh yeah? I don't think so...

BrianW

BrianW Report 6 May 2021 17:58

I think we had five scam calls on one day last week.

Only two today (so far).

The car accident claim one seems to have died a death since I told them I had actually been in a fatal accident.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 May 2021 13:00

My granddaughter just answered one who spoke in a very difficult to understand Indian accent

I am waving frantically from my armchair only for her to string them along and to finally say nope that sounds a load of bullocks! to me BYE :-D :-D

And I am on virgin media anyway :-P

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 May 2021 14:48

We had four yesterday, but they were automated calls, so I couldn't say anything - rude or otherwise! :-(