General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Milk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2021 11:26

I use Cravendale Skimmed milk in the large 4pint? size containers.

I have just finished one that had a best before date of 6 May so 14 days over the date and it was perfectly ok.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 May 2021 11:34

It's because they use ceramic filters to remove more of the bacteria that makes milk go sour - although I don't think I would have used it 14 days after the use by date. Milk doesn't last that long in our house anyway. We go through 4 x 4 pint bottles a week.

We like the Arla B.O.B. skimmed milk because it really does taste more like semi-skimmed milk so we like it for on cereal.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 May 2021 11:35

I have just switched to cravendale in my weekly shop

Granddaughter ,who is still with me , recommended it for long use by date

Usually I would buy Sainsbury's own but recently they have been sending short date ones I was wasting milk

I must say I am impressed with it and will stick with it :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2021 11:38

I don't like the taste of semi skimmed The milk I was using had no smell or taste, it was fine, as I am now on my oen and don't eat cereals so use little milk really I just went on using it, to be honest I didn't check the date until I washed the container. Been drinking Cravendale for years and never had a problem with it. It would have been wasteful to throw it out while it was still ok.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 May 2021 11:41

If you can still catch it, wind it back. That is the way I live.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 May 2021 11:47

I drink uhomogenised full milk, which comes in pints or litres, and isn't sold in the local shop, so I end up buying 4 bottles, using about 2 inches, then freezing it.

Von

Von Report 20 May 2021 12:16

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/best-before-and-use-by-dates

I would be inclined to follow guidance on the above site.

Edit especially this paragraph

Food can look and smell fine even after its use-by date, but that doesn't mean it's safe to eat. It could still be contaminated.

You cannot see, smell or taste the bacteria that cause food poisoning.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2021 13:44

Well, I have been fine and it has all gone now Von. All I have is about half an inch in tea or coffee.

Best before dates are about quality

The best before date, sometimes shown as BBE (best before end), is about quality and not safety. The food will be safe to eat after this date but may not be at its best. Its flavour and texture might not be as good. Best before dates appear on a wide range of foods including:

frozen foods
dried foods
tinned foods

The best before date will only be accurate if the food is stored according to the instructions on the packaging.

This was best before, not use by.

Von

Von Report 20 May 2021 13:54

As you are ok that’s the main thing Ann <3

If you read the information on the side or back of dairy products that once opened they should be used within 3-4days .
I just wish we didn’t have all this packaged stuff as we’ve no idea how it’s all produced.

However we do have a friend who is an environmental officer and listening to him is very interesting.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2021 14:04

That 3-4 days plays right into their hands as if you throw it away and you then need more they get extra profit.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 May 2021 14:05

Believe it or not I am actually usually very careful of expired dates.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 May 2021 00:58

Can you not buy it in smaller sizes??

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 May 2021 08:17

Yes and I do when I remember there are not two of us.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 May 2021 09:03

I'm surprised at the date on bottles of milk.

I always thought it was OK for just a couple of days, although resourceful wives would usually be able to use it in their cooking.

Today's milkman's delivery of 1pt semi-skimmed in a glass bottle has a date of 30th May impressed on it's lid.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 21 May 2021 16:29

hmmm.....milk n more? ours has 26th may......

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 May 2021 17:26

Yes, Milk & More.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 21 May 2021 18:12

I get 2 x 6 pint cartons delivered with my order and check the date when they arrive. If I think we won’t use it all in time, I freeze some of it in little 1 pint bottles. Skimmed and semi-skimmed freeze well. I’ve never tried freezing full cream milk. The only thing is you have to remember to take it out of the freezer well before you need it. It takes ages to defrost naturally.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 May 2021 18:14

....and leaves huge puddles of water, Vera! :-(