General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Laughing Gas.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Jun 2021 09:48

Nitrous oxide, also known as 'laughing gas' could be used to treat severe depression after a clinical trial found that it improved symptoms in 11 out of 20 participants.

(Today's London Times). :-D

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jun 2021 09:59

That's no laughing matter

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Jun 2021 10:00

I've been reminded of the Laughing Policeman! :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Jun 2021 10:59

There must be a lot of depressed people where I live as when I am out litter picking, I come ac lots of the empty small canisters

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jun 2021 13:10

That is interesting, Dermot.

If it makes you laugh, it must affect that part of the brain that causes you to laugh. It causes relaxation as well.

Let us hope it is a step forward.

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 13:40

Same here Linda but sadly it renders the users unable to pick up their detritus and put it in a bin. :-|

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Jun 2021 13:55

nah its red bull etc,cans that cause that....

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 10 Jun 2021 14:14

relax

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 14:37

Nah Bob.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jun 2021 17:25

Anyone else remember going to the dentist and having laughing gas when he had to take out a tooth??

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jun 2021 17:35

Didn’t make me laugh. :-|

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jun 2021 21:56

Wasn't laughing gas also used during childbirth?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jun 2021 22:17

Didn't make me laugh either, names!!

Trouble was, we had a School Dentist in the town where I grew up, and that's where we all had to go ......... we had a school nurse in the grammar school who'd give us a quick check over once a year.

Sent you to the NH clinic to get glasses, the dental clinic to get teeth "fixed", etc

The school dentist didn't seem to know too much about fillings ............... I had at least 3 molars pulled over about 3 years wit out any suggestion of fillings being done. It was all free of course.

Then my brother (10 years older than me) insisted on taking me to his dentist during one holiday when I began to have some trouble with a tooth. I must have been about 14/15 at the time. His dentist treated me, charged however much it was .................. the the school dentist refused to have anything more to do with me because I'd "gone private". Mum wasn't too happy!

But I well remember the laughing gas at the school clinic.

It wasn't funny

Allan ............. I think it sometimes was, but I didn't have any babies before I left the UK, so that's just hearsay :-D

Allan

Allan Report 10 Jun 2021 22:37

I'm sure it was, Sylvia, but referred to as 'gas and air'

Both our children were born in the UK and I seem to recall my wife using it during her first time. I don't know about the second birth as I was persona non grata and wasn't allowed anywhere near the Maternity Home after I dropped my wife off :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2021 03:29

Oh dear, Allan, what HAD you done to be persona non grata?????????????

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Jun 2021 09:00

was the thing at the time Sylvia.....drop the expectant mother off at the hospital......just like leaving the shopping list !!! collect it in a couple of days...(at least it was with my two offspring)

Allan

Allan Report 11 Jun 2021 12:21

Sylvia, I had scammed two weeks off work with symptoms of chicken pox after a colleague had done the same thing.

One single bleb on my belly, complaints of pains in my ankles, contact with a supposed case and voila, a sick note for two weeks :-D

What I hadn't counted on was that the Dr I saw was also the one who was on call at the Maternity Home at the time I took OH in :-(

The reception I received was probably the same as if Dracula walked into a Blood Bank asking to make a withdrawal.

Bob, I had been there four years previously when my son was born (1976) and even though there were complications and he had to be delivered by forceps I was still allowed to be present at his birth :-)

Island

Island Report 11 Jun 2021 13:25

Allan, whist away from home I developed a nasty itchy rash on my back. Phoned NHS direct (?) for advice, they looked up the nearest walk in clinic and advised that I phoned in advance to say what my ailment was. Upon phoning, I was told to wait outside - in the carpark, until called. Shingles! Unclean! So I get your likening to Dracula :-D :-D

'Laughing gas' I have only had once - about four years ago for an extraction. I found myself fighting sniggers and bursts of laughter. It still hurt. :-|
What a waste of a happy session. No digestive biscuits either ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Jun 2021 16:33

Allan,
Ah in 1960-63 forest gate hospital was a virtual fortress to us expectant dads..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2021 17:18

In 1974, OH was expecting to be with me at the birth of our daughter, and had been to all the pre-natal classes to learn what to do He was with me for over 14 hours, when they decided I and the baby needed a caesarean ASAP.

He wasn't allowed to be there for that, and I was in hospital for 10 days instead of 5.