General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Imagine if you had pre-booked

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2021 11:49

a weeks holiday in Cornwall near St Ives, this week. Would not be a lot of fun I think.

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 12:15

Oh I don't know Ann - there may be opportunities to point and laugh at the clown.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 10 Jun 2021 14:58

Even worse - imagine if you actually live in Cornwall and have to put up with all this disruption !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2021 15:08

I wonder how many people have cancelled future holidays, because of this :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2021 15:45

Susie, I feel for you, is it directly affecting you?However what may affect you indirectly is if people who had booked pull out. Well perhaps not you as an indicidual but your county/area. There could be a loss of income, I bet the delegates don't spend a lot in the surrounding villages.

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 16:01

It's just three days plus set up and strike for crew either side.
Surely cast and crew accommodation would have been secured well in advance (unless the top brass fly in and out daily) leaving little choice, apart from caravans, for holiday makers to have booked?

St Ives is crawling with tourists in the summer every year. I'm not sure how the G7 is going to make that much of a difference.

Nice to 'see' you again Susie, I was wondering if you are still here.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2021 16:39

Probably it won't but the thought of it might have put people off. It is not just the three days though it was the set up, the 'ring of steel' and the shutting down again. I do hope if the delegates fancy a crab sandwich outside they have hard hats with them.

I am sure G7 or something similar was held in Tenerife one year when we were there, couldn't walk down some of the roads for armed security guards.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Jun 2021 17:06

Cornwall will still be around long after the hotheads depart. :-P

Come on down & taste the Cornish cream tea. - much nicer than the Devon equivalent. :-D

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 17:18

I did say 'plus set up and strike for crew either side.' Ann
I'm sure it will be 'in house' posh catering for the delegates :-D

Quite so Dermot and back to it's usual overcrowded self ;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Jun 2021 17:23

I think I read last night that all the bridges (??30) are shut down, and will remain that way for at least 3 weeks

How do you get and out of the peninsula area if all the bridges are closed??

I can tell you that our experience of the Winter Olympics 2010 in Vancouver was horrendous!

It wasn't only the closed roads and diversions and no-go areas, but the rolling closures of supposedly open main roads when the high-ups had to move from one place to another ........... police on motor cycles ahead gradually "rolling" and closing all side roads, stopping pedestrians crossing etc. Followed by a cavalcade of police cars, huge limousines, police cars, and finally, eventually, more motor cycle police following as they came away from the side road closures. No advance notice, except sudden arrival of the motor cycles.

and we have wide roads, not like the ones in Cornwall.

BJ was an idiot to choose such a place ................... lovely yes, show case, yes, but completely inappropriate for such a meeting, especially when Biden has apparently brought around 400 US Secret Service to guard him.

One question ................ will his "beast" car even make it between the two hotels (the one where he's staying and the one where the meeting is)????

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 11 Jun 2021 11:54

Despite having our jabs we are still not going out much so staying home isn't too much of a problem. However a friend has a shop in Truro and said that they are dreadfully quiet again now with people saying they don't want to come in as large protest meetings are supposedly planned there for this week.
I do know people in Carbis Bay who feel utterly trapped by all the security around them - it is only a tiny village so seems an odd choice for such a meeting.
On the lighter side - lovely cartoon in the Telegraph today showing 2 sailors on the warship moored in the bay saying that they have orders to fire on anyone putting cream on their scone before the jam!
Yes I am still here thank you Island but had a lot of computer problems and an invasion by builders have rather occupied me lately!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Jun 2021 12:12

Island yes the menues are in the DM one meal at The Eden Project cooked by a top chef, another one is a beach barbecue by another top chef and I fancy both menues.
A lot of freshly caught fish.

Yes I know you did Island.

Caroline

Caroline Report 11 Jun 2021 15:35

My sister lives quite nearby and she's planning on staying home the whole time. There aren't many big roads in that part of Cornwall so yes it's been busy getting things/people to the right places.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jun 2021 17:21

I read last night that Biden can't use the Beast ............... it's too big to navigate the roads, so he has had to use a smaller secure car.

Wonder if that one has bags of his blood in the secret store in case of an emergency (ie, bombing), or all the other means of fighting off terrorists?

Edited to correct spelling error

Barbra

Barbra Report 11 Jun 2021 17:54

I HAVE been to Cornwall many years ago got to Lands End stunning places friendly people bet they will be glad when G7 is over but B & B look as though they are enjoying them selves & wives.Our country should be proud of all we can offer no need to go abroad for holidays stay in the U K .& hope the Sun shines safer any way .Barbara