General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grrrrr

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2021 16:06

On Radio 4 extra, they're advertising - at least 3 times a day - an upcoming programme about Ella Fitzgerald singing 'Mac The Knife', from 'The Threepenny Opera'.

What is irking me is their pronunciation of the 'Threepenny' bit from 'The Threepenny Opera'
They're calling it 'The Three-penny Opera', instead of 'The 'Thruppenny' Opera' :-|
It sort of devalues it!

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 16:13

I've always said 'threpnee' but 'three penny' :-0 kiddiwinks of today eh

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Jun 2021 16:28

Daft ha'porths!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Jun 2021 17:12

I think I always said thrupny.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Jun 2021 17:17

At least they're not calling it the "Three Pence Opera".

I know I'm a grumpy old woman, but it really annoys me when people talk about "one pence."

Island

Island Report 10 Jun 2021 17:21

or the Three P Opera' LOL

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jun 2021 17:34

Don’t you mean the Free P Opera?

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 10 Jun 2021 17:51

Very irritating I agree. I used to say Thrupney or Thruppenny bit for the coin. I once said to grandchild " If a Herring and half cost three hapence how much will 2 cost" They had no idea what I was talking about. :-D :-D.

One thing that irritated me was when someone said 2 times instead of twice but D said you say 3 times not thrice so I shut up. :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Jun 2021 18:52

'Word Of Mouth' on BBC Radio 4 can be interesting.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2021 19:06

The way I said it, depended on where I was living at the time, but I would never have said 'Three-penny'! :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Jun 2021 19:10

Sharron, my Mum used to say that.
What irks me these day is when someone says P instead of pence, after all we never said D in the old pre decimal days.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Jun 2021 19:13

Languages have been given to us to make our meaning clear & not to mess around with dishonest doubt.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jun 2021 19:15

Pence or D. depends whether you were spending it or taking it ;-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Jun 2021 19:18

The "d" was for "denarius" or "denarii", even though we said "penny" or "pence", which makes it even more complicated.

Three pennies - if talking about three penny coins.
Threepence / thruppence - if talking about the amount of money.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Jun 2021 21:19

ArgyllGran - Thruppence = Thruppenny!
I obviously say 'Thruppenny' the Scottish way! :-D
It was where I started school. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Jun 2021 22:01

A "thruppenny bit" was the twelve-sided coin, but if we were talking about the cost of something, we said thruppence!

I still have a couple stashed away for posterity.