General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cardiac arrest

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron2

Ron2 Report 18 Jun 2021 21:56

Need a new body - any offers? Towards end of March had to call for ambulance due chest pains and the most painful angina I've ever had. Was thought to be mild heart attack so they gave me angiogram and found blocked heart artery. Next stage was transfer to Northern General at Sheffield for angioplasty and the a stent inserted. Couple of days later in early morning I'm in ambulance en route to Sheffield. Hadnt been travelling for long when severe chest pain and everything went black. Seems I was partially restarted by use of defib' but no recollection of that procedure as I was dead to the world. Next thing I knew I was being given CPR by duty sister in CCU - she had strong arms! Once I was stabilized another ambulance was called and I was blue lighted down M'way to Sheffield. No messing about there I went straight in op theater where staff where waiting to sort me out. Once sorted I was shifted to cardiology ward, things went wonky as they thought I had arterial bleed so they started checking me out. Had throat camera down my throat without being sedated and that was not nice, camera in other places too. Turned out was duodenal ulcer letting out serious amount of blood. Family told I was critical but eventually came thro it all. Lost count of number of blood transfusions after 5! Eventually had an op to sort out the ulcer - camera etc down throat but this time was sedated. Bit of panic later as another bleed started from place unknown but didnt last too long. Spent 3 weeks flat on me back in Northern General before being moved back to Donny CCU. Only there for 2 or 3 days as then transferred to a rehab ward at Mexboro hospital where spent a week being rehabbed before being delivered back home. All in all just couple of days short of 5 weeks in hospital. A doctor at NG said to my son that I had lives of a cat! lol

It's all left me knackered tho but not surprising as I'm 80. Getting plenty of help/guidance by fone and visits to house by med staff. Can hardly walk due legs pain/problems plus back problems all much worse that before the arrest. Been doing plenty of gardening as my exercise but if I can sit down to do a job I do so - my speeds are dead slow and stop so everything takes a lot of time. At least I've now got my diabetes under control as in hospital they put me on 24 units of insulin in morning and 20 in evening - now its 8 in morning and 6 in evening which keeps my levels in single figures - with odd exception. Was very nice to attend a "do" to celebrate gt grand dtrs first birthday t'other week

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jun 2021 22:04

Phew Ron quite a story there so pleased you lived to tell the tale. Hope your recovery continues.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jun 2021 22:30

Crikey Ron - you've certainly been through it!!!
Take things easy, <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Jun 2021 03:16

Oh wow, what a rotten time you've had, Ron. So glad you found the strength to fight back!

Take things steady now, that little gtgranddaughter needs someone to play with!

Lizxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Jun 2021 03:22

Well, you certainly don't do anything by halves, do you!!

Take things nice and steady, and get better for that little granddaughter of yours.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jun 2021 07:42

Blimey!

At least there is some conciliation that you were already in hospital when some of the other things went off.

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Jun 2021 21:43

Wow talk about getting your money's worth out of the NHS. Hope you feel better soon.