General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The sofa and fridge freezer saga

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Jun 2021 11:02

Well before i actually moved, I looked for a new black Fridge freezer and 2 sofas. A 3 seater & a 2 seater.

Argos was pretty reasonable, could deliver to my area from the mainland for only £6.95. Wow i thought what a bargain as i had ordered new mattresses awhile ago which cost me in all £130 in delivery fees.

So i ordered the said items, was told around 6 week delivery. it meant we would be without for around 2 weeks but we could manage with that.
Fast forward, we are in new house settling in just waiting for my new furniture. So I am in supermarket on a Friday when i get a call from Argos informing me that the Fridge freezer had been damaged and had to be returned to stores.
Disappointed doesnt come close.

But sadly the item was out of stock but i said you will be able to reorder for me?
The gemtleman suggested it would be easier for me to keep checking online and when i see it back in stock, I should ring and reorder!!! he said he would be quicker this way. I then got cut off as the phone signal isnt great in the store.

I thought about this over night and then realised, this was not a good service at all. I had paid upfront, was now without my fridge freezer an the guy didnt really apologize or go out of his way to get me another.

So the following mornign i tel Argos expressing my dissatisfaction, the lady said so do you want to cancel the order then? I said yes and she said"money in your account 3-5 days" and that was that. She didnt care at all.

Anyway, i tel my local shop where i bought my cooker and as luck would have it, they had a similar model for £30 more. They delivered the next day with no delivery charge. I had looked originally but they didnt have any hence i went Argos.

Very happy with it and now im glad i supported a local business. 5 days later I got my refund.

Sofa saga next....

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 30 Jun 2021 11:40

I find that the last 2 years Argos has gone downhill fast as to customer service, Even worse with the covid situation which I understand is bad for lots of businesses.
I live in a big city which used to have many Argos stores within a short bus ride to us. We got a lot of furniture and other items from there as delivery was good and usually quick
Now though I find that when looking for news sofas and garden furniture that we want most of it says " no delivery to postcode ******. I could understand if we were a rural area but we are about 4 miles from the city centre and less than 1/2 mile from the nearest store. Like you I am looking now at smaller local stores. not on line but near enough for me to get to by bus.

Glad you got what you wanted . :-) :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Jun 2021 11:51

The sofas.... Well they came on the due date and I was so excited thinking that by the evening, daughter & i would have a lovely comfy sofa to sit on instead of the kitchen pine chairs. There were 4 boxes in all and very heavy. It took me ages to open the boxes and tear the carboard in order to get the sofas out. 2 boxes had the seats and the other 2 boxes had the backs.

Ages later, finally got them sorted but straight away, i noticed the 3 seater wasnt very stable and wobbled plus the right arm was loose. We turned the back of the sofa forwards and underneath there was a support piece of wood was broken! Looked closely at the inside of the arm and the wood was broken there too. Looked closely at 2 seater and the left arm again was loose and wood support broken inside. I wanted to cry & shout a few choice words...dash it came to mind lol

Why oh why does this have to happen to me I asked myself? Having waited 6 blooming weeks, we were back to square one and sitting on kitchen chairs.

So in the morning, back on phone to Argos. Again i was told out of stock and the same thing, that i should search etc...i was fuming and told the woman, i didnt have internet or a landline as I was still waiting on that(another saga).

Before she could say anything, i told her to cancel and i wanted an refund immediately. So they arranged for local haulier to collect items on 24 jun which they did and im still waiting for a refund which i wont get until they receive goods back(nearly £1000). Once I get my refund, I shall be emailing a complaint about the saga and shoddy service.

So was telling a friend and she suggested a very small furniture store on the edge of the village. I thought it had closed down years ago. Anyway off we went and what looked like an old toilet block lol was the said shop. A very nice man showed us round and at first couldnt see what I wanted until right in the back I saw it. A real leather black 2 seater. Well we sat on it and it was heaven, so comfy .

I explained what had happened with Argos and he said, i could have the sofa the following evening and no del charge. He then checked and he could get a 3 seater but it would be 5 th jul. He drives down to Birmingham and collects it himself.

So I now have a very comfy real leather sofa 2 seater and awaiting the 3 seater.

I am even more happy that i refound this little shop and again supported a local business run by a genuine guy who gives a great service.

So got there in the end.

I guess buy local if you can is the way forward. The goods were a little more money but no delivery and they arrive in one piece.

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Jun 2021 12:07

It just goes to show doesn't it florence. I guess all Argus stuff is coming from a central warehouse for each large area and, very common these days, no respect is show and stuff is thrown around. I would write a very strong complaint to the top nce you have your money back.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 30 Jun 2021 13:11

Argos has either merged with / brought by Sainsburys and a lot of there stores have closed and they have mini stores inside Sainsburys, which I think is why they don't have the same stock now. The one by me is still only click and collect atm.

It's very disappointing when things arrive broken.