General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All done and dusted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2021 07:17

So granddaughter took me to the hospital yesterday for my second follow up from knee replacement op

Had X-rays done and small wait and in to the consultant registrar

All is ok and I have full leg extension and bend

Still numb on outer knee but this was surface nerves that get cut when the opening up is done and will take time to repair themselves

It’s still quite swollen but better than it was and it could take up to two years to resolve or maybe may never go fully down

Am walking normally too and didn’t need the walking stick even though I took it with me

Sooo doc is pleased with my progress and has discharged me

Did ask about driving and as it’s the right leg he said I must be sure I can use the brake safely and do an emergency stop if necessary

He recommended someone come with me first time

Fortunately I have chiropractor appointment today so granddaughter is coming over and I will drive my car to see how I go

If it’s not safe yet she can take over

Am I glad I had the knee done ? Still not sure on that but too late now

:-( :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Jul 2021 08:06

Well done Shirley.

When I had my knee done I also had a couple of appointments with the hospital physio. It was them that gave me permission to drive at around 6 weeks post op.I had already sat in the car and tried the pedals. Boy, was it painful on the first drive.

You need to tell your insurers if you have permission to drive otherwise you may not be able to claim after an accident.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Jul 2021 08:14

That sounds a good progress report, Shirley.

So good that you are walking normally now too.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 22 Jul 2021 09:07

Good news Shirley. There’ll be no holding you back now. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Jul 2021 09:13

Stage one of recovery - stick thrown! :-D :-D :-D
Well done!

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 22 Jul 2021 10:42

Already it sounds as if you are benefitting from the surgery, Shirley <3. It's still early days so hopefully there will be a lot more improvement still to come :-) <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 22 Jul 2021 12:45

Well done Shirley, that is good news, keep up the good work. x.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jul 2021 07:25

Well drove ok .no problems at all and no pain or discomfort

We did have one problem though. I have an electrically operated roller garage door ,

It opens and closes using a fob . Well it opened but wouldn’t shut down again ,it beeped five times which indicates batteries need changing on the lower inside of the door on a small motherboard

We had to leave door open till we got back from chiropractor and granddaughter fathomed out how to change the batteries

Still wasn’t having though, she even got a friend who is an electrician to take a look at it

It will open on the fob but not close ,fortunately I had opted as an extra to have a manual system added to it where you can wind it up or down in case of a power failure

So car is in garage and door wound down and it’s on the phone later to the installers for a service visit

It was put in in August 2017 and apart from battery changes shouldn’t need any other mechanical maintenance but something isn’t working!

Electrician thought maybe the sensors had gone

Very odd because the door hadn’t been opened for 14 weeks because of self isolating and the surgery

At least the car started on first turn of the key !

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jul 2021 22:34

Well done, Shirley.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Jul 2021 00:28

Brilliant, Shirley (driving, not the darned door!) :-D