General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

M49 on birth registration

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 29 Jul 2021 22:07

Hello, I am checking a birth record for a friend and the person I'm after is registered separately under the mother's surname and the father's. Also the same registrations appear 19 years later. One of them has the notation see M49. Can anyone tell me what this means please as I've not seen it before. Thank you.
Diane.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Jul 2021 23:08

Could it be that she was born illegitimately, hence the Mother's surname and later adopted by the Father when he married her Mother?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Jul 2021 08:04

If the notation is on the actual certificate then it is the registrars own reference to their notes.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Jul 2021 08:11

Usually means born illegitimately but was legitimised by the parents marriage later

Once married the parents can inform the registrar so a new birth certificate would be issued as a legitimate birth

Diane

Diane Report 30 Jul 2021 08:36

Thanks for the comments, I think the family had an inkling that the couple weren't married at the time of the birth as the father was already married! As it looks as though the child was registered again 9 years later, maybe that was when they married and the cert changed. I'll see if there's reference to a marriage about that time. Thanks again for pointing me in another direction.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jul 2021 09:25

My g grandparents (from Suffolk and London) met in Bournemouth.
G grandad had, apparently, left a wife in an asylum in London.
G ganny had left an illegitimate child in Suffolk

They moved to Southampton, where g gran called herself 'Mrs', and the father is named on all the birth certs. They married 21 years later, when his wife died.having had 9 of their 10 children,

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Jul 2021 10:08

According to the 1911 census my OH’s great grandfather had been married to his second wife for 10 years. No they hadn’t. They got married 15 years later as soon as the first wife died. He left everything to his stepchildren and nothing to his own children.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 31 Jul 2021 00:10

I suspect one record was in 1949, and the other record has the see M49 on it? M being the qtr of registration?