General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Weird

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jul 2021 22:32

Due to the large fall on our house block the back garden has been terraced.

Between the house and the first terrace there is a height difference of just over 1.6 metres. We have a nice set of stone steps, eight in number, leading up to this first terrace.

We usually put some food down for the wild birds that frequent our garden. This is always put on the lower level as it affords some protection from the weather and the hawks.

For whatever reason, when the birds wish to access this food or return to the upper level, they hop up or down the stairs :-S

I would have thought that they could just glide down but having said that I'm not sure who has the bird brain, me or them :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jul 2021 22:38

Maybe it takes less energy than flying?

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jul 2021 22:56

The weather we are having at the moment there should be no problem with conserving energy :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jul 2021 23:17

Ah - nowt so queer as birds, then :-D

Allan

Allan Report 30 Jul 2021 23:19

:-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jul 2021 04:07

Have you asked them why they do it??

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jul 2021 07:30

maybe they have not remembered which step the food is on and wish to explore all possibilities.

Allan

Allan Report 31 Jul 2021 09:38

The food is well away from the steps, Ann,

Sylvia, I speak gibberish and double Dutch fluently, but billing and cooing is not in my vocabulary, just ask my OH :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jul 2021 21:53

Oh dear!

Allan

Allan Report 3 Aug 2021 00:27

The doves have now decided to nest under our carport :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Aug 2021 10:26

Chase them, Allan, or they’ll decorate your car! :-D

Allan

Allan Report 3 Aug 2021 21:42

'Too late! Too late!' the maiden cried ;-)