General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

the 1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marie

Marie Report 31 Jul 2021 21:41

i'm sure its been asked many times but does anyone know when we get access to the 1921 census please ??

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Jul 2021 21:45

I think it will be January next year.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jul 2021 21:46

Next January at the earliest.

Yes, the question has been asked many times!

The Census was released to the company Find My Past, but they have to get it all translated into digital format.

Initially it will only be available to their subscribers, and probably at an extra cost.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 31 Jul 2021 21:47

Snap ZZzzz :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Aug 2021 10:26

The publication of the 1921 Scottish census has been delayed.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Aug 2021 10:44

Joan - the 1921 census was never meant to be released until January 2022. It has now been delayed until either late January or maybe even slightly later in the year because of delays in transcribing because of Covid.

Apparently the Scottish 1921 census will not be released until the second half of next year.

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Aug 2021 11:09

I’m glad someone else answered this as, without looking it up, I thought they had been trying to rushing it through for the end of this year, I didn’t realise it was going to be quite so late in the end.

Fortunately it is not the census I am waiting for.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 1 Aug 2021 14:40

Of course it's been serious and delayed many things but I'm getting really fed up with the Covid excuse being used for everything at the moment. My husband had to stop driving temporarily in January following a collapse - he is still trying to get his licence back and has been told his application will probably not even be looked at by DVLA until the New Year! I'm sure you can guess the reason!
A friend recently moved house and her solicitor added £45 onto the bill, despite the fact everything had been done via email saying it was due to - go on - guess again!
However compared to the suffering of so many these are totally irrelevant, but very irritating.

Brian

Brian Report 17 Nov 2021 10:41

Yes ,,most of us will agree its a excuse ,,a poor one at that ,,to make a little money by adding small amounts to bills ,saying things have gone up in price , well the only thing i can think of is to publish company names who try to fiddle that extra out of customers, if they see there company mentioned in this way it should make them think,, as long as these companyies are informed

Kense

Kense Report 17 Nov 2021 16:47

Where does the date of late January come from? According to the advert on the left of this page, the launch date is 6th January.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 17 Nov 2021 22:26

When Findmypast first mentioned that the census release may be delayed because of Covid they said it could be late January or even later. Then they started advertising the census release and said it would be 6th January which was probably the date it had originally been expected anyway.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Nov 2021 17:07

Members of FMP, and media reports announced the date of January 6 and 4-5 weeks ago, along with photos of how the transcribing had been done, and shots of insects found among the documents. All insects found were killed, preserved and will be identified!

david1947

david1947 Report 22 Nov 2021 18:23

Will the 1921 census be available on genes reunited with your membership fee or is it extra cost.

david1947

david1947 Report 22 Nov 2021 18:24

Will the 1921 census be available on genes reunited with your membership fee or is it extra cost.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Nov 2021 18:28

It will be exclusive to FMP for some time. Even subscribers will have to pay extra.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Nov 2021 17:43

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1398855

AndyTheFamilyTreeResearcher

AndyTheFamilyTreeResearcher Report 25 Nov 2021 18:59

I was going to renew my 12 month subs with FMP. But they are charging extra for viewing records!

£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image.

That is very expensive. I won't be using it. Should be free if you have a paid membership.

Does anyone know if it becomes free at some point either on FMP or Ancestry?

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Nov 2021 20:09

There are several thread about the 1921 census.

Worth looking at the thread highlighted by ArgyllGran above - part of which says -

"As The National Archives’ digitisation partner, Findmypast will be the only genealogy website to offer access to the 1921 Census of England and Wales. This exclusivity will last for up to three years."

Same thing happened with the 1911 census.

Ancestry will no doubt pick it up at a later date, but ? when.

You may be able to get the information you need with the free general search.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Aug 2022 00:11

when will the 1921 census be available on Genes Reunited

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2022 03:30

Probably never!!!

It's on FindMyPast, also on the stable owned by GR's owners, and they have full rights to it for about 3 years. Presumably Ancestry will also want to pay to get it.