General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am I being lazy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2021 15:21

I am fed up with a dirty top oven of my double electric built in ovens

I really only use the top oven now as cooking for one

I do clean the shelves and a general wipe out but am fed up with streaks between the glass that can’t be accessed

Has dripped down too to the big oven glass

The main oven does have stay clean oven sides but the shelves get dirty but I cant get down to check or clean

Soo I have booked a local company to come in and do a double oven clean . Going to cost £55 but I will have clean ovens !

I feel I should be able to do it myself but I just can’t seem to get motivated to even start as I know I won’t be able to finish :-(

Von

Von Report 3 Sep 2021 15:32

Not being lazy at all Shirley. <3

Some ovens are really difficult to keep clean. My old one was a doddle but the new one leaves a lot to be desired. :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Sep 2021 15:38

Definitely not being lazy, you have had a life time of cleaning ovens and now let somebody else do it. Think of it as giving somebody work to do, putting food on their table.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Sep 2021 15:41

I agree with Ann - Keep someone else employed.
if you can afford it - do it! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2021 15:43

Thanks folks

I do try but my mobility is getting more challenging even recently having the knee op

I have a list of Mr Men I get in to do annual maintenance cleans etc and now have a nice young mr man who does decorating

Hubby and I kept the house clean and decorated but since he went I can’t do some things myself so having to get help in

I don’t mind paying if it means the home is clean :-D

Even the recent water heater leak saga I was thank god I can use the internet and finally get it sorted out

Yes cost me over £6000 but I have hot water again and the latest warm air heating system

I know hubby wouldn’t have a clue on how to sort, bless him xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Sep 2021 16:28

Joan

Mine are screwed in and is big cross edged screws that I don’t have a screwdriver bit that fits. Plus am wary of taking apart if I can’t put back together,

I have tried steam cleaning blasts and feeding clothes but the glass seems to be recessed so everything misses

But tbh if it’s getting cleaned and giving a local trader business then it’s win win for both of us

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Sep 2021 16:35

Shirley my mum is 84 and cant bend so she had a local company who cleaned her whole oven for £60. So £55 sounds reasonable and no you are not lazy just less able. Thank goodness they do have such companies to clean ovens etc

Florence in the hebrides

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Sep 2021 22:08

I had mine cleaned by a professional in 2019. It's a double oven and it cost me £60. It was well worth it since it took him 2 hours.

The oven is 22 years old and it looked like new when he had finished. I also bought two silicone sheets to put on the bottom of each oven (which he recommended) which means that now any spills and I can just wash the silicone sheets in the sink.

Kath. x

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Sep 2021 07:36

I practice laziness every day & I do it brilliantly. :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Sep 2021 10:46

Well even before my knee replacement surgery I couldn’t kneel down .

If I was down I had big problems getting up again

Have had a couple of falls too

Instructions after the surgery was absolutely no kneeling as well as no leg crossing ,not that I would cross my legs whilst cleaning anything !!

So built under counter ovens are a bit low especially to try and see into the bottom oven

All very nice when you are agile and having a kitchen refit but 10 plus years later simply not as practical

Having always been very independent and one who doesn’t like asking it’s been a bit of a curve admitting I can’t do some things anymore so need help

Needs must though sometimes :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2021 11:44

Nothing wrong with being independent Shirley - when you are able to be but also nothing wrong with admitting things are different now.

I've had both knees replaced and one hip replaced and I can't kneel down anymore (was told by the surgeon not to).

I find all sorts of cleaning a struggle and now I have to use my "grabber" thingy to hold a cloth for cleaning skirting boards etc. When I say cleaning I really just mean a quick wipe to clear the dust. The best thing for me now is that my eyesight isn't what it is so if I don't put my specs on I don't see most of the dust :-D :-D

I've learned that what my mam used to say is true - "the dust will still be there when you're not so forget about it and do something else".

Kath. x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Sep 2021 13:24

I have a year old Beko dual fuel oven, and as you say it has triple glass in the doors, right pain to clean the bottom doors top one is not so bad,
the top safety glass shattered several months ago, and would you believe, they have not yet been able to supply a replacement.

so wary about dismantling the doors after this...