General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electricity bill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Sep 2021 11:48

I have never pretended to be mathematically gifted, in fact I can just about count any sense and can't use a calculator because I lose track. My welding teacher had to teach me long- division again to take the exam, while the manly members of the class sat sniggering!

Surely I am not the only person so very disabled in the sums department that they can't understand their electricity bill am I?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2021 12:03

I class myself as reasonable at maths, but you would need a masters degree in I don't know what to understand a gas or electricity bill.

We were told a couple of years ago that our provider was making their bills easier to understand - and if they have then I haven't noticed much difference.

I would like one sheet of paper that just says "you have used this much electricity and you owe us whatever the amount is"

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Sep 2021 12:04

Definitely not!
I had that fiasco when British Gas sent me a gas bill, then an electricity bill.
The electricity bill had the gas bill added on :-S
Also, despite there being a 'smart meter' here, (with no handset), all 'readings' were estimated - actually grossly over estimated.
I phoned quite a few times, but the people in the call centre aren't admin.

In the end, I sent an email, with my readings, and an invoice for my admin time, danger money for reading the ridiculously placed electricity meter, time spent reading the gas meter (the door fell off), stress caused, brain power wasted trying to work out their mistakes etc etc.,...
I got a substantial refund,(money owed) and compensation, but not, for some reason the £666 on my invoice!

BrianW

BrianW Report 7 Sep 2021 16:08

Gas and electricity bills are a sore point at the moment.

Due mainly to the price increase in wholesale gas (which is also the main souce of power to generate electricity as renewables come nowhere near to making up half the juice generated), the year-on-year increase is about forty percent (or four tenths for those that prefer fractions).

For several reasons we are quite heavy users and the increase is VERY noticeable.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Sep 2021 16:14

Not four tenths - it’s two fifths if we want to be mathematical.