General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relatives Who Have Left Us

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Sep 2021 16:48

Sitting here with Mr Owl and discussing loved ones who have left us as his dad would have been 65 on the first but instead he died of cancer at the age of 26 in 1983. He lost his first grandparent at 6 years old on January 2nd 1989 but both of us were in our 20s before we lost another. Mr Owl’s last surviving grandparent his grandmother died last year when he was 37 and now at 37 myself I might still have a grandmother living as she was born in 1940. Indeed so young were my mother’s family when they had children that my great grandparents on my mother’s side are younger than my grandfather on my father’s side.

Discussing again though how much of an asset grandparents can be. All the grandparents we had who wanted to be in our lives were truly the best we could wish for. Here’s to remembering those we have lost <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 4 Sep 2021 17:36

I only knew one grandparent and she was a huge part of our lives, I was 23 when she died in her 80s . My other grandparents and 1 grt grandparent died the year I was born. My parents were older when I was born 39 and 45 yrs so I missed a lot of aunt and uncles as well . We have been a big part of our grandchildren lives and hope they feel about us as I do about about my gran. OH wasn't close to his extended family so I never met his grands either.

Maddie

Maddie Report 4 Sep 2021 17:38

<3 <3
i was born in 1949
grandad died 1946
grandma 1954
grandad 1955
grandma 1960
so i spent most of my life without them
I have very few memories, i wish i could nave had more

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Sep 2021 19:19

My dad's stepdad died 4 years before I was born.
Mum's dad died 6 weeks before I was born.
I didn't know dad's mum existed until I was 10 - then I was left with her (and my aunt and 2 cousins) for 6 weeks, - but I got to know her quite well. I never saw her again, and she died in 1985, aged 77.
Her love of animals was evident <3
Finding her in prison in the 1939 register was a shock, but the reason was understandable.

This thread inspired me to find this photo - it's my grand daughter (B) on the lap of her G granny, next to her GG granny in 2002!
Mum's mum died in 2005, aged 99. I used to see her a lot.
My mum died in 2012, aged 82.
My dad died in 1994,, aged 68

B is now 19, and has promised to take her granny on a pub crawl. :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 4 Sep 2021 22:00

Paternal grandfather died in 1930

Maternal grandfather died in 1936

Maternal grandmother died in 1953 when I was five. She lived with us and I have vague memories of her and have some photos.

Paternal grandmother died in 1964. She also lived with us and I do have many memories of her.

My mother died in 1972, just eleven days after her 55th birthday.

My father died in 1983 in Australia where he had lived since 1973. My children got to spend a few months with him in 1982 when we arrived here.

OH's father died before we met and her mother died in 1975, before either of our children were born.

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Sep 2021 22:15

Mr Owls dad died 1983 born 1956
My Paternal grandfather died 1978 born 1918
Mr Owls maternal grandfather died 1989 born 1915
Mr Owls maternal grandmother died 1996 born 1915
Both our paternal grandfather’s died 2010 born 1929 his and 1934 mine
My paternal grandmother died 2015 born 1926
Mr Owls paternal grandmother died 2020 born 1931

My mum’s mother may still be alive as she was born in 1940

Mr Owl was born in 1982 and I was born in 1984

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Sep 2021 10:32

All four of my grandparents were born in the 1870’s/80’s.

One died in 1919, one died on VE Day. Leaving me with one of each from either side.
Both lived to a good age, but one died before I was 10, the other when I was about 20.
My parents died at 84 and 92

Sharron

Sharron Report 5 Sep 2021 13:38

My paternal grandmother was the last of my grandparents and the nearest thing I ever had to a mother and she died days before my sixth birthday.

I started family research in 1980 so I do have some of the more gossippy history from the old ones of the time, so I have heard things from people who might have been told themselves by people born in the mid nineteenth century. People who had lived through two world wars.