General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Church of England Graveyards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Sep 2021 10:41

For those who want to know where their Church of England ancestors are buried, here's some great news

https://news.sky.com/story/every-grave-in-the-church-of-englands-19-000-graveyards-is-being-digitally-mapped-12399528

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Sep 2021 10:46

I wonder if they'll record gravestones removed from graves, and placed around the walls, or as in my g X 4 grandad's stone, which was removed from his grave in Romsey Abbey grounds, as he was a 'commoner', and used as part of the pathway to the war memorial :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Sep 2021 10:47

It was bad enough having my backside filmed ( I was getting a load of shopping out of the car) when the Google car went past.
Now I am concerned that visitors to their relatives graves may find this intrusive.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Sep 2021 10:48

That's great news Pat. Hope I'm still around at the end of the 7 years that they say the project will take :-D

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Sep 2021 10:50

Some of those removed headstones are now long gone.

The grave of one set of my grandparents has sunk and I have no idea if there was a marker. We visited the cemetery of several of the OH’s relatives and none of them have markers. We worked out all of the placings from plot numbers.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Sep 2021 11:41

Romsey Abbey have no record of 'commoners' graves, or the headstones.
When I asked an official about my g x grandad (Henry Floyd's) grave, I was brusquely informed that, as a commoner, he would have been buried at Botley Road Cemetery.
Botley Road Cemetary was established in 1857.
Henry died in 1842.
His worn headstone is in the Abbey grounds, as part of a footpath, along with the headstones of other commoners, who died before 1857, but, apparently, he wasn't buried there.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Sep 2021 14:35

I have one lot whose gravestones failed the "topple test" and are now round the church walls.

Another lot were buried in paupers graves and never had gravestones at all.

In both cases though the church already has full records of who was buried where, so digitising them should be fairly straightforward.