General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Great news

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Sep 2021 10:49

My step grandson , the lad I have spoken about who has learning difficulties, is now 21 years old and has been assessed to move on to a new chapter in his life

He does go daily to a Life Skills unit but gets increasingly frustrated at home adjusting to daughter having to work at home and not giving him 24/7 attention

He has been offered ,and accepted a one bedroom assisted living flat ,

He will have 45 hours a week carers who will help him with things he needs like taking him shopping, showing him how to do things etc

At first daughter and son in law were could he cope but he is keen to take the step

The social services were encouraging to him and did point out that he is ready and really needs to get more skills to look after himself as daughter and son in law won’t be around forever !

The funding has been approved and housing benefit will pay the rent

He has to apply for universal credit,which daughter is doing online for him

She was a bit flabbergasted when despite listing he is registered disabled and has lots of problems including bowel incontinence he had to go to the job centre to be assessed for work

She took him on Thursday ,had to fill in the form on his behalf as he can’t write ,and went in with him to the interview as his speech is often unintelligible

Did see a really nice lady though who was yes no way could he hold down a job even from just reading the form let alone interviewing him

Soo it’s all systems go now getting him set up and moved

Daughter is still apprehensive but says he has to give it a try

:-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Sep 2021 11:43

That seems to be really good news Shirley. At least it seems that he is not having to battle with the authorities to get the help he needs.

I hope things go well for him. Your daughter may find that it is the making of him and she can still play a big part in helping him when he's settled.

Good luck to all of them. :-)

Kath. x

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Sep 2021 11:47

That's brilliant news!
I hope things go well for him. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Sep 2021 12:14

Best wishes to him Shirley, his parents won't know what he is capable of until he goves it a try. It will of course seem strange to them when he is not living with them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Sep 2021 13:14

Ann

He has been living with them since he was 4 years old

He is son in laws boy by a previous relationship and he was going to be removed from his mum by social services because she wasn’t looking after him properly

After a lot of discussions daughter and son in law went to court and got custody of him

It’s been a big commitment because his special needs showed more and more as he grew

His mother too was very bitter because she felt my daughter took her son off her even though he was going to be removed anyway,
She made my daughters life hell with constant harassment through solicitors with false allegations about her

It was only when legal aid stopped for civil cases that she turned to other ways to harass her

My daughter has done a wonderful job with the care and teaching Kieran to do things for himself. He now showers and washes his hair , can dress himself and do simple things like get his own breakfast and drink

He can operate a microwave and empty the dishwasher
He has the job of putting out the bins for collection

He likes cooking but needs help

He is an absolute whizz on the computer too

All in all he is ready to try and be more independent :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Sep 2021 15:45

I'm so pleased for you all. This is very encouraging news.

It's great that with your daughter's and his dad's support, Keiran has the confidence to want to try this next step.

Good luck to him. I hope it works out well.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Sep 2021 18:25

That's lovely news Shirley and so heart warming. I wish them well xx.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Sep 2021 20:58

Oh that is great news Shirley. My cousin has similar problems and he has been in his own flat,supervised of course for a good few years now and has done really well. Poor chap now has Parkinsons but the staff are wonderful

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Sep 2021 21:40

Great news, Shireley.

I do hope things work wel for him, and for the rest of the family. It might be just what he needs.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 6 Sep 2021 19:18

I hope all goes well for K , your daughter and son in law should be very proud of him and themselves for getting him this far. Not forgetting you as you have been there for him as well .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2021 20:15

Thank you all

Just been talking to daughter and he has a moving date of 27th sept so it’s all systems go

They have been getting things for him but not furniture as they don’t have the storage

Are now looking for good quality leather second hand settees just in case it doesn’t work for him .plus material isn’t suitable because of his bowel problems

A friend has a double bed he can have and I have towels and fitted sheets

He has his own tv and they are looking for other furniture for him

He has been told and is excited about it ,just hope he doesn’t get an big problem when he realise he is on his own

He will still go to his daily life skills class

:-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Sep 2021 20:46

Have they looked on the Freecycle sites, Shirley.?

There are often items of good furniture there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2021 21:13

Gywn

They have been looking at charity shops and online too

Don’t know about freecycle so have passed on info

Thanks