General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching an address

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 5 Sep 2021 15:50

Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Is there a way I can search a specific address? I'm searching for family with very common names, so many people are in the same area at the same time, although not related. I have addresses for some of these people but am unsure how to do this using the census records. Has anyone managed this before?
Thanks in advance

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Sep 2021 16:22

Welcome to the Boards.

Which company are you using for you census searching?

Island

Island Report 5 Sep 2021 16:52

Assuming your have a sub to a website which has census' eg Find My Past, select census year then 'search by address'.
Without knowing where you are looking and why you are having difficulty it's hard to advise,

You could also put some details on here - assuming it is historical and not living persons you are after - I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. Heaven knows there's enough tumbleweed blowing about LOL :-D

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 Sep 2021 17:25

Hi both,
I'm just looking through the Genes Census records, so it would be Find My Past. All the relatives are deceased. It's my sister-in-law's family and she has very little information. The fact there are a HUGE amount of Thomas's, John's, Edward's etc that appear on a search, the only certain info I have to track them back on is the addresses. I've been going round in ever decreasing circles thinking I have the right family, but the addresses are wrong.
I have access to the census papers but I don't see a tab for searching by address. :-\
Hope I'm not just looking but not seeing?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Sep 2021 17:34

I doubt if Genes have the same search facility as FMP. Not many people on here use Genes for their research.

It is really difficult with common names. You need to work back from what you know as fact, even buying certificates to prove or disprove a name.

Sarah

Sarah Report 6 Sep 2021 17:45

Yes, I've just found that out, even though the Genes info is owned by FMP !
I've just made an account and got the addresses up from the census years and yes, I will have to pay another subscription, but at least i know the information i need is there.
Thanks for the advice, i will see how far i can get.

Island

Island Report 6 Sep 2021 18:24

I'm not really quite sure now..... :-S
If you have the census returns they should have the addresses on them.
Also, as the returns are 10 years apart they could have moved. One of my families is on the 1901 census twice but in different places - they moved over night and it is noted by the enumerator.

Look out for free goes on Find My Past or take a free trial membership - don't for get to unsubscribe before it runs out.
You might also get free access at your local library, if they are open again

greyghost

greyghost Report 6 Sep 2021 18:26

If you'd like to give an address, we can see what we can find with FMP and ancestry access.

Sarah

Sarah Report 8 Sep 2021 19:39

Thanks everyone. When I've sorted the definite from the uncertain, I will post again. I've taken up a free trial with FMP and have had considerably better, more detailed results, allowing me to clear up many loose ends. Thanks again for the offers of help, it's much appreciated.