General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bonfires

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2021 16:59

Just finished running round the house closing all the windows because some idiot has decided to have a garden bonfire.

GRRRRRRRR!

It's getting hot hot hot! 30c. and rising

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Sep 2021 17:18

Names, i thought there were certain by -laws which state that between 1st April and 30 Sep bonfires are not allowed to be lit between 8am and 6pm?

When i lived in kent, they were the rules and even then say at 6.30 if neighbour had washing out, mum would always pop round to tell them so they could take it in before we lit the bonfire.

Having a bonfire in your heat isnt a good idea! Up here because of lack of rain for 2 months, they were telling people not to have portable bbqs etc as the moor is tinder dry. Last year we had some dreadful moor fires that burnt for days, was awful!

Florence in the hebrides

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 8 Sep 2021 17:19

The twit who lives near us regularly has a b-b-q.

Unfortunately he does not clean it between sessions.

The smoke and smell is disgusting

We too have to run around closing windows.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Sep 2021 17:21

Don’t get me started on bbq’s.

At least the wiff of the starter gives you a little warning.

I don’t know about the bye laws, might look them up. But it could be allotments further up the road.

We had new neighbours next to our old house with the sons working as gardeners. You should have seen the bonfires ! One day when our garden was surrounded by smoke and ash I rang the council to make enquiries, they happened to have someone nearby who threw a wobbly. I’t didn’t go down well with the neighbours but I hadn’t actually made a complaint. They were so angry that the council office staff were concerned for our safety. Fortunately 2 days afterwards we went on holiday. Good thing too, as the fire had something obnoxious put on it.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 8 Sep 2021 18:00

I reported one of my neighbours who was always lighting them. I sent the council photos of him doing it and they sorted him out. He has now bought himself a garden shredder and had a green garden bin delivered,silly old git :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Sep 2021 18:33

BBQ Bonfires and firepits......always startup it seems when your windows are wide open and you're airing the house out then suddenly without warning your whole house is full of smoke.