General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Some People Just Don't Think!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Sep 2021 15:00

The road through our village is generally wide enough for people to pass with care, but there are one or two narrow bits where large vehicles have trouble.

I was on the bus this morning approaching a narrow bit and there was a Morrison's delivery van parked right on the white line. The bus driver pulled out, realised there wasn't room and stopped. The Morrison's man jumped in his van and drove partly on to the pavement so that the bus could get past.

Meanwhile a largeish white van coming the other way drove right up level with the front of the Morrison's van before he stopped. Quite how he thought the bus would get past is anyone's guess. :-| :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Sep 2021 15:24

I'm convinced lockdown has had an affect on peoples driving.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Sep 2021 16:13

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

Did the white van actually SEE the bus?
Did 'white van man' assume everyone - including the bus driver, would back up, due to 'white man van's' dubious reputation?

Sharron

Sharron Report 10 Sep 2021 12:52

Extra wide pavement in front of my house, constructed to accommodate the telephone pole. My Smart is parked with it's nose up to the pole and the other Smart behind it ith space to manoeuvre and leaving room beside me for a wheelchair or whatever.

Anyway, I was shuffling up and down to get out when Mr Richard Head pulled in to pick up his goblins from the school and backed right up to the post in front of me, took out his phone and played whatever he plays on it.

He could have waited a moment while I pulled out, had he a thought for anybody else i his head but, no, he left me to shunt back and forth to achieve an acute angle to get past him.

Once out, he didn't look up when I stopped beside him but he did when I blasted the horn and stuck my fingers up at him. Thoughtless armhole!

Did I ever tell you I used to be a van driver?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Sep 2021 13:05

You can't stop people parking where they want to!!!

I am so pleased that one neighbour has left. We both have the right to park outside our garages. Unfortunatley our two areas intersect at one point and there are several cars that need to get past to their own gates/garages. When they have had one of their larger vehicles parked I had very little room to manoeuver my car out of the garage and yes they were fully aware that I used the garage from their day one!

I had to laugh. One day reently I was getting my car out, eased out of the garage, hard left then hard right to avoid their vehicle, got out of the car to shut the garage - only to realise that for once the other vehicle wasn't there.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Sep 2021 01:02

Last week, I had a red honda jazz parked skew whiff across two gara ges(clearly labelled 24 access required) for 22 hours..

Annx

Annx Report 11 Sep 2021 19:40

My mum years ago had a house with lock up garages (hers) behind it. Her house was within walking distance of the city football ground and some would pull into her driveway and park along the side of it thinking it was public with the garages being at the back, despite there being 'private property notices'. Although in her 60s, she was fearless and decided to put a stop to it by shutting the double gates and padlocking them to lock them in while they were at the match. When they got back we watched from inside the house and after some head scratching they started lifting the gates off their hinges to get out. Off went mum with me behind and she told them she wanted payment for their parking on her private land. They started sniggering to each other till she said she had taken photos of where they were parked, noted down all their car details and registrations to give the police when she intended to report them if they didn't pay up!! They soon got their wallets out and they never parked there again.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Sep 2021 21:23

Annx - well done your mum! :-D :-D :-D