General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ignoramuses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Sep 2021 09:39

The other day I read that only stupid, uneducated people voted for Brexit. I.e. those that didn’t go to university.

Now the Scots are being told that the ordinary voter is confused and cowed about the big decisions.

I see a rebellion of the ordinary and stupid coming.

Allan

Allan Report 10 Sep 2021 09:46

That's why we have politicians; us plebs are incapable of thinking for ourselves, or making 'informed' decisions :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Sep 2021 10:38

..and the majority of our 'oh so well educated' MP's went to private school and University.
The problem is, when the current Government representatives went, depending on which private school they went to, they got an automatic 'pass; to Oxford or Cambridge, no matter how thick they were - as is evident!

Things have changed Now they have to get GCSE 'O' and 'A' levels to get to Uni, but they take easier GCSEs than state schoolchildren, and have personal tuition (as well as a maximum of 16 children per class). So much for equality! :-| :-|

Mind you, this Government is very good at lying, and not thinking thngs through - remember what they said 'Brexit' would do for this country?
They never mentioned a lack of NHS staff, vegetables rotting in fields or a lack of lorry drivers.
I'd say it was people who had faith in this Government who voted Brexit, those who believed the Government, thought politicians knew what they were talking about, and didn't lie.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Sep 2021 11:03

Names, you shouldn't take everything you read as gospel.

Whoever said that Brexit voters were stupid (if it wasn't a complete fabrication) is most likely a brexiter attempting to keep supporters on side. The anti-brexit view is usually that voters were misled by a series of lies fed to them over many years by a well funded campaign.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Sep 2021 11:25

If I remember correctly the uneducated comment was from a remainer but the confused and cowed Scottish voter is reported as being said by Keith Brown, deputy leader of the SNP.

Presumably the Scottish one was because the SNP didn’t get 100% of the vote.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Sep 2021 11:33

Piers Morgan ungracious in defeat as Ant & Dec win NTAs for 20th year in row.

Ignoramus indeed!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 10 Sep 2021 12:10

The bit in the OP is referring to a speech which Keith Brown is going to make on the opening day of the SNP annual conference.

He is talking about the last Referendum in 2014. A section of his speech putting it in context is below (quote from STV news).

“Our task is to convince those who do not yet support our cause. That means engaging in respectful, constructive discussions with those fellow Scots who remain open to persuasion.

“We must accept that, in 2014, many ordinary voters were cowed and confused by the scare tactics of Project Fear. We must accept that, even now, many of those same fears persist.

“So, we must listen to our hesitant fellow Scots and convince them by the power of our positive arguments that there is absolutely nothing to fear, that Scotland is big enough, is clever enough, rich enough, so long as we are bold enough.”

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Sep 2021 12:27

Andy’s Mum, funny but those words ‘nothing to fear, big enough, clever enough, rich enough and being bold’ seem to resonate with me. Does anyone else get the feeling they may have heard similar before?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Sep 2021 12:34

Rich Enough! Isn’t Scotland hugely in debt?

But thank you for posting the actual text.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Sep 2021 13:14

IndyWales in May 2020: big enough, rich enough, smart enough …

FDR Inaugural speech: we have nothing to fear [but fear itself] ….. [we face it wisely and courageously]