General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Female news readers fashionable attire!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Sep 2021 19:31

Is it just me who thinks that most of the BBC and ITV female newreaders attire is rather frumpy and outdated? The blouses with the tie cravat things were what i wore to work in the 80's. The knee length green A line dresses with a belt??? What is that all about.

Do they choose their own clothes to wear or do they have to follow a particular dress code?

I just think even the younger ones are wearing clothes made for a more mature woman but from another decade.

Just my thoughts.
Anyone else have an opinion?

Florence in the hebrides

Island

Island Report 13 Sep 2021 20:19

It's difficult for women to be taken seriously so any hint of 'fashion' would have them in the tabloids for the wrong reasons thus losing their credibility?
I don't watch TV news but - are the males fashionably dressed?

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 13 Sep 2021 21:11

I would rather look frumpy while on tv reading the news, less chance of being recognised when out and about.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Sep 2021 10:03

I quite like the clothes Naga Munchetty wears.

Males usually suited and booted, Island.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 14 Sep 2021 11:22

I think a lot of 'Vintage' styles are fashionable right now but I would assume that there is a dress code for both male and female . Although males are very conservative in dark suits .

JoyLouise I think Naga always looks lovely.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 14 Sep 2021 12:43

I think Mary Nightingale on ITV always looks lovely, and professional.

Kate Silverton on BBC always looks very smart too.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Sep 2021 13:41

Some male news readers often dress themselves using a blunt shovel.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Sep 2021 14:20

No i dont think they should wear the latest fashion but with the men they wear smart suit, shirt & tie and look professional.
When I worked in banking, we had a straight skirt, box jacket and a longer skirt with a longer jacket. 5 blouses to match and 2 pairs of dark grey smart trousers.

You may think it took away our rights to freedom of choice but actually as the bank paid for the uniforms, those on lower wages like the juniors didnt have to scrape to buy smart for work anymore and with everyone dressed the same it looked very professional.

I know we watch the news programmes to see what's going on in the world and the attire is irrelevant but sometimes the styles actually distract from the topic thats being discussed.

As for hairstyles.lol the guy called Tomaz? he really did make me smile each time he was reading the weather but at the same time, it looked blooming awful. if he had turned up for work in the bank looking like that, the manager would have sent him out for a haircut and yes i know it was during lockdown but other people managed to keep their hair looking tidy on tv!

Florence in the hebrides

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 14 Sep 2021 15:05

Working in the City, it was always a suit. A skirt suit, no trousers, and always nylons, no bare legs. With court shoes.

We kicked them off under the desk, and wore Dr Scholls, and click clacked around in them all day.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Sep 2021 20:19

Same.I wore 4 inch heels and ran up and down 4 flights of stairs several times daily.Yes MTG,no bare legs allowed!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 14 Sep 2021 23:29

Bring back Mary Malcom!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Sep 2021 09:45

Gawd, Bob, there’s a blast from the past. :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Sep 2021 10:10

I had to look her up Bob.

She was the lady in the 'portrait' type dress. She was also the grand-daughter of Lillie Langtrey. (So it said on Doodle)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Sep 2021 10:16

Ooh, Maddie, you is just a young lass. :-D :-D :-D

Like Bob, I remember her - although I did not know the Langtry connection so I have learned something new, thank you.

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Sep 2021 10:19

I really dont remember her. The earliest newscaster I can fully remember is Michael Aspel. With his suit and Brylcreamed hair.

Check out the Langtrey connection, I am sure that is what I read. But it is early in the morning. My eyes may not have focussed properly yet! :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Sep 2021 14:10

Maddie, just read about the connection. I never knew.

We got our first telly in 1954 - a Grundig, I think it was called - and it was like a piece of furniture but with a small screen. A few of us local kids had gone into an elderly neighbours home to watch the 1953 coronation.

So, while I am not au fait with programmes watched by children now, I do remember The Grove Family and The Appleyards. Bob will, too, I expect.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Sep 2021 16:15

Mary Malcom :-S. she probably stopped presenting before we got a tv. We got our first one quite late.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 15 Sep 2021 17:14

yeah a few moons ago!, our telly was a Sobell stood about 3feet6 inches with maybe a 9 inch screen and a removeable panel for screen adjustments...oh remember the demo films on a Saturday...and the interludes..LOL

wasnt Cliff Mitchelmore her counterpart?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Sep 2021 17:22

….. ah, the interludes, Bob, ….. and the closing down at night when the National Anthem was played.

Our Grundig was like a cabinet and Mum used to polish it. It had two doors that opened to reveal, as you wrote, a small screen.

I remember Sobell.

I can’t recall Cliff M performing alongside Mary Malcolm but I do remember his wife - Jean Metcalfe?

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2021 22:12

Don't forget Sylvia Peters.

Anyone remember Rooftop Rendezvous and Cafe Continental?