General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it really possible

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Sep 2021 21:20

For someone's mobile phone to call someone while it is in a pocket and more than once?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Sep 2021 21:31

Yes I have often had it happen until I got a flip phone :-D

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 16 Sep 2021 21:47

Oh yes my OH did this to me a couple of weeks ago. twice my phone went off and both times I answered it and only heard mumbling got quite worried as thought he'd fallen. Phoned him back and he answered and said haven't phoned you I'm in the bookies. He had sat on his phone gawd knows how many people he's phoned lol . Not sure how he does it as he has a flip phone.

Grandson calls it butt dialing.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 Sep 2021 21:48

Yes, it does happen. My son calls them “pocket calls”

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Sep 2021 21:54

Yes, I agree. OH has done it to me more than once. Like JustGinnie I have rung him back. I'm not quite sure how you can ring someone when they are already on the phone but it seems to work.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2021 22:22

It has been known over here for people to "phone" Emergency Services ........... 911 gets to you the Emergency Call Centre which handles all calls for Fire, Police & Ambulance.

Seems it is easy to do that :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Sep 2021 22:26

Yes my dad did it a few times at 1am and i was not a happy bunny as it woke others up and we thought there was an emergency at that time of night/am. His mobile dialled my landline because it was in his pocket and it rang the first name in his phone book...me. I could hear him making a cup of tea and recognized his cough lol.
When i told him the next day, he was stunned how it happened!

Because he didnt realise it meant our landline was blocked until he switched his phone off, however i didnt tell him it would have put his bill up!!

But i dont know how you can ring another person when you are already chatting on the mobile to another??

Florence in the hebrides

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Sep 2021 22:52

One of my phones locks it's self after a few seconds, the other one does too and needs a code to unlock it, so I reckon I couldn't do that anyway but who knows, I don't.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Sep 2021 07:29

ZZzzzz mine is locked until I put in a pin as well I was thinking it couldn't random phone. But maybe I am wrong.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 17 Sep 2021 09:42

I have had it happen to me. It's usually the last number that was called that starts up again. Both my children and husband have done it and I was there shouting to try and get them to hear.

I remember son's came on more than once. He was driving with the phone in his back pocket. :-(

Not happened recently though.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 17 Sep 2021 09:43

I have fingerprint recognition and a passcode and I am sure mine has dialled out though I don’t understand how. All my “ghost” calls have been between my phone and my son’s and he is the one I have most mobile contact with so I wonder if the phone calls the most used number. If you google Pocket Calls or Butt Calls there are some articles about it, mostly American.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 17 Sep 2021 10:56

With the mobiles we have if we phone someone and they answer and we end the call it disconnects both phones so you can phone again . Whoever ends the call will disconnect both phones. Don't think it works that way with mobile to landline calls, our landline will beep if we forget to switch it off after a call has ended.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 17 Sep 2021 14:40

The best one I heard was from my daughter. She was a manager at a financial firm in London and one of her staff called in sick. A little while later her phone rang again - same person calling but this time it transmitted all that was being said at a job interview he was attending! When he came in the next day she told him she hoped he'd got the job as he was in need of a new one!