General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer slow today!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Sep 2021 14:19

Is anyone else having a slow computer day today?
I decided whilst the floor was drying I would try and clean up the computer by deleting old things and freeing up space. But oh my its working at a snails pace.

Every time I try to open anything, I'm waiting ages for it to open...like a document.

I did a disc clean up and it deleted some files, I cleared my browsing history on all my browsers etc and still its very slow.

I have had this computer 5 years now and it was a reconditioned one, I bought locally from where son was doing an apprentice during his degree studies in Computer Science. So maybe its coming to a natural end.

With that in mind I have just ordered a few USB 64 GB sticks so I can transfer documents onto one, photos on another etc and gradually clear the system in prep for buying another one. I got a really good deal on Amazon rather than buying an external hard drive which was more expensive.

Last night I noticed it was slow in accessing any sites at all and did shut down and reboot. I'm going to do a full scan in awhile just to see if any viruses etc.

So short of doing all this has anyone else got similar problems and if you have, did you do anything different to what I have tried already?

Suggestions please

Florence in the hebrides