General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New sandwich toaster.Why?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2021 16:20

When sandwich toasters first came out, I was so taken with the idea that I bought a Breville, but not without finding all I could before opening my pocket a teeny crack. I distinctly remember one woman telling me that they were marvelous and would actually cook the bacon inside a sandwich.

This sandwich toaster served me well and I used it at least once a week,quite often a couple and might well still be doing so after forty years, until Fred,who never used it anyway, made the arbitrary decision that it was no use and didn't work so he threw it away.Thanks Fred!

I now have OH to whom I have to be careful what I say and I happened to mention to him that they had Russell Hobbs sandwich toasters in the middle of Lidl this week. We generally get most things in Aldi these days because the cat likes their food and top up sometimes from Sainsbury's.

He had to go to Sainsbury for a few thingsthis week and took the opportunity to pop into Lidl and buy the sandwich toaster we had not discussed wanting.Just as well I hadnot mentioned that North Korea have nuclear armaments or who knows what might be gracing my front garden now!

Anyway, he got out in the kitchen playing with his new toy and I asked for a rasher and mushroom one.I began to wonder if I would live long enough to eat it,it was taking so long. He was at the stove, frying the rasher and the mushrooms before he put them in the sandwich toaster.

This is what the instruction book told him to do!You are told to cook everything first to make sure it is properly cooked.

I had the same today, between two slices of toast. What ,in God's name, is the point of a bloody sandwich toaster if you need to cook it all first?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Sep 2021 16:35

Elf 'n safety Sharron.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Sep 2021 16:36

...so a very expensive toaster, then!

I had one once, but decided it took too long to clean :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2021 16:37

You can still burn your gob!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Sep 2021 16:40

I have a sandwich toaster and I put onions,sliced mushrooms and green peppers in the sandwich and then close the lid.I do leave it s little but longer but don't mind a little crunch.i never cook the ingredients first :-S

Florence in the hebrides

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 24 Sep 2021 16:48

Surely you don't have to cook cheese before you put it in, could get very messy!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Sep 2021 18:21

Yes it is very hot and melted cheese will burn your mouth big time if you are not careful!

Florence in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 24 Sep 2021 19:16

did you not butter the outside of the sarnie? and the filling cooked itself?

we had one but the latch broke off and my son binned it... you got my marf watering now....;

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Sep 2021 19:25

OH buttered the outside but, according to the book of destructions, you eed to cook the filing first.

Have looked at the reviews of sandwich toasters and it looks like Breville do a very superior one I might save up for. The best bit is that the plates come out because they always were a pigs bum to clean.

No Bob, I will save you asking, I have never cleaned a pig's bum!

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 24 Sep 2021 20:02

I bought my first 'sandwich toaster' at the Ideal Home Exhibition in the late 60's. It was two circular plates, hinged with long handles. You made the sandwich, buttered the outside of the bread and then closed the plates and held it over the gas ring!! No non stick, switch it on and leave it to cook back then :-D :-D

Anyone else remember these ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Sep 2021 22:20

Yes, Lyndi, when I was young. We called it a jaffle maker.

The first Breville (I think it was) sandwich toaster I bought cut the bread into rectangles. When it broke I had to make do with triangles. I prefer the rectangular ones but have never been able to find one again. :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Sep 2021 09:12

My mum had one of those long handled things, I don’t think it was ever used.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2021 09:26

As did my Gran, names. I think she called it a jaffle iron. <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Sep 2021 09:54

Lyndi
My in-laws had one of those toasters with long handles.
That would be early 70s.
I'd never seen one before, but I think m-in-l used it quite often.

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 25 Sep 2021 15:02

If I ever knew it's proper name I certainly don't remember, but just googled Jaffle Iron and found some very similar to mine. I remember mine had pale blue handles :-0 :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Sep 2021 15:44

I remember how awful the sandwich maker was for cleaning.....I think more people might have been made sick by a dirty machine than from food poisoning as the food hadn't been pre-cooked. I have a waffle maker now which is also awful for cleaning.....hardly use it only got it when using airmiles up once as the kids wanted it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Sep 2021 16:32

I got one of those longer silvered outer case, flat-based toasters in the end, even though it does not seal the sandwich at all - but it is good for all manner of things. Before we had a sandwich toaster we had a rectangular grill-type inside machine that cooked steaks and any manner of things. It was awful to clean too, Caroline. I think I left it behind with a friend (accidentally on purpose)when we moved back to the UK as I preferred the sandwich toaster that we had then.