General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Utter Shock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 24 Sep 2021 21:48

We were watching the local news last night when a story appeared about an elderly couple in Capel being found murdered and their son, aged 47, being charged with said murder.

I joked with my OH and said, 'I wonder if it was X' who was a professional colleague who I first met back in 1983 at a Conference.

The local news was followed by the main WA news which also featured the same item, but this time with more details.

To my utter shock, it WAS X and his wife. :-(

Just as I had known X as a professional colleague, my OH also knew his wife who was President of the Parents Association of the local High School where my wife worked as a school clerical officer, and had many dealings with her over the years.

We are still not able to register the enormity of what has happened

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Sep 2021 21:53

Oh Allan , how awful to hear this sad news on tv?? What a dreadful shock.

Its awful hearing news of a murder when you dont that person persoanlly, but when you do, its hard to take it all in.

Sending you both hugs <3

florence in the hebrides

Allan

Allan Report 24 Sep 2021 22:03

Thanks, Florence

There were a cohort of us who worked in adjacent local authorities from 1986 until I branched out on my own in 2006, and due to the nature of our work there was a very close working relationship within the group.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Sep 2021 07:47

Oh Allan, how very sad to hear of this news in the media. such a shock for you both.
But also it is always sad to read of a child killing their parents, awful for the extended family as well. (((((((hugs))))))

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Sep 2021 08:46

A sudden death is always difficult but tragic deaths found out this way make it hard to comprehend the facts.

Thoughts with you and your wife Allan <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Sep 2021 09:32

To hear of any death is very sad but to hear of these murders must have been both a shock and upsetting to you both <3

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2021 10:03

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Still can't quite understand how or why, but we never really know the motivation, if that is the correct word, for such deeds.

RIP, Colin and Bernie

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 25 Sep 2021 15:17

How very sad Allan, and such a shock to find out that way.

Sadly it is becoming more frequent that people find out about family tragedies via the media. Several years ago I saw a post on facebook written by the son of a friend. He sounded so distressed that I messaged him to check he was ok.

Turned out his brother had died suddenly while staying with a friend, that friend had told other friends and they immediately posted RIP messages on social media. This young lad had just seen the posts and was trying to find out if it was true!!! That was how the family found out. :-(