General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free renewable hybrid heating system

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2021 08:07

As I can’t find the thread I contributed to recently, I am starting this one.

Our LA has posted this through doors locally - sealed in one of its own enveloped.

(Our LA) is working with X Home Services to help qualifying households benefit from free renewable heating systems……

Homeowners could be eligible too ……. Hybrid heat-pump central heating system.

It goes on to explain how the system works and, apparently, it is under The Green Homes Grant (LA Delivery) Scheme.

To be eligible you must be reside in our LA, must own your own home and fall into one of the following:

Total household income less than £30,000 a year. OR

You or one permanent resident in your household is receiving a qualifying benefit.

The LA’s leaflet asks you to contact the LA for more information.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Sep 2021 09:10

I thought it had.been axed :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2021 09:25

Just came through our door on Thursday.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Sep 2021 13:50

I'm one of those wary of such leaflets. Bit of a step up from phonecalls though.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2021 15:25

Direct from our local authority though names. Leaflet printed by them and in an official LA envelope too.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Sep 2021 16:54

JL I would Tel on Monday and ask for more details.
Last time my landlord agreed to insulating the bedrooms in the roof,I had to sleep in a sleeping bag downstairs whilst they carried out the work!

So ask whether you have to move out if you decided to go ahead?

I would investigate very thoroughly before making any decisions.

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Sep 2021 04:26

Florence, as I wrote in my first post, the number given on the leaflet to get more information is that of our Local Authority.

I know this is the right number for the Council because I have rung it several times in the past. Also, the HQ is within walking distance of me and I am no stranger to the building at all. :-D

They were good with free insulation several years ago too - as I wrote on a previous thread.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Sep 2021 10:52

If any Council has some spare money would it not be better to assist folk to better insulate their homes?
Ours is a 1930's semi with solid walls which are rendered. Much of that rendering is 'blown'. It has been suggested that the rendering should be removed, external insulation panels be applied then re-rendered. I have not yet got round to seeking quotes.
Newer homes were/are built with cavity walls. But initially the cavities were not insulated. So there is scope for improvement there. Also funding, or part funding, good double glazed windows would reduce heat loss.

Schemes have been extended?

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/green-energy/grants/rhi

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Sep 2021 12:06

Yes, Inky, our Council did that several years ago, so perhaps it's ahead of most?

At the time we had already installed low-depth loft insulation ourselves and we had cavity-wall insulation.

Now we have some very thick stuff, courtesy of our LA.

We also have double-glazing but have been thinking of triple - because most of our windows are large and the back of the house is more glass than brick.

I've not costed anything though. I still have a wish to downsize!