General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just had a bit of a chuckle.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Sep 2021 13:30

With an ex colleague, in the job I retired from I was apparently the longest serving employee ( 16 years ) and he said I should have been given an award for it but I said I would have refused it as it wasn't something I was proud of, I hated it and just put up with it until I could retire.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Sep 2021 15:45

Oh ZZzzz, my last job was the easiest I had and I was there 20 years. I chose it because I thought it would be easy and I worked two years beyond the then 60 retirement age. Even my boss told me this will be an easy job up to your retirement, Joy. He was right. Our pensions there were 'equal' - men and women got them at 65 not 60, but I did get my govt pension from 60.

I only finished at 62 because of hubby's health and I knew that he would keep going and drop earlier if I wasn't there to keep a check on him. His illness had a poor prognosis over the first ten years and after that it was 'normal' like everyone else - so 15 years on he's great.

The jobs I had before that were nowhere near as easy so I was grateful for the last one. I was offered three in the same week and took the one which I thought would be a doddle!

I was so glad I did so. Even though the salary was less, so was the stress. :-D