General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Oct 2021 08:53

For the second time in 2 weeks, I have no heating or hot water :-| :-| :-|

Same problem.
Phoned the council - I was told they could come out on Wednesday or Thursday!
So, I very politely pointed out that I was working from home - in a way fortunate, otherwise I would have had to take time off work, but, it's not very easy using a laptop with freezng fingers.
I also pointed out, I was moved here to (as I put it) death's waiting room in January, with 2 weeks notice, during a lockdown as I had no job, but then had no internet or phone for 6 weeks after moving, so couldn't apply for a job,
Now I have a job.

I then asked if my age would have any bearing? Apparently, it would.
So, I pointed out I was a very old lady. A decrepit old lady, well over 60, who was fed up with repeated boiler break downs.
I told him that I know in theory how to 'fix' the problem, but my frail old fingers couldn't turn the valve, and I'd rather not break it, besides whhich, there is something majorly wrong if it's breaking down every 2 weeks.

They're coming out tomorrow morning :-D

Perhaps i should have made an appointment for 2 weeks time, while I was at it!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Oct 2021 11:31

I was going to say ‘fingers crossed’ for tomorrow but then thought you wouldn’t want to do that with frozen fingers. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Oct 2021 13:15

:-D :-D :-D :-D

It's not a good record, considering these places were built for the elderly, disabled or infirm!
At least in my old house, I could keep warm by lighting the fire.
In this place, they've removed an open fire (and left the huge chimney breast), and removed the gas fire that replaced the open fire, as is evident by the gas pipe sticking out of the wall, thus ensuring no secondary heat source

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Oct 2021 13:41

Gas pipe sticking out of the wall? Sounds like someone didn’t finish the job properly or it’s left so a gas fire can be reinstalled..

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Oct 2021 17:21

Probably the former - the numbskull who thought 'What can we do with this 'feature' wall - the biggest wall in the place, facing the large window? I know, this 4" x 8" plastic heating control would look good there - just off centre, for interest".

Then there's the gas boiler. Where was that put? In the tiny kitchen. Not in a cupboard, but right next to one, as near to the cooker as it can get, with all the pipes exposed, for added grime gathering.
Chances are, the unmovable (by me) valve is slowly being cooked into position by the heat from the cooker.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Oct 2021 18:05

Maggie, is this house fit for purpose? Sounds like its not safe at all.

I bought a mini oil filled radiator for about £30. Daughter & i had one each when it was soo cold last winter.They are good for a small room and you can put your feet either side.

I so hope they sort out the boiler asap otherwise i think i might just want to move elsewhere?

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2021 18:18

I made a fortuitous discovery!
The last man said it seemed water was leaking from somewhere.
I'd looked at all the radiators, nothing there, and, as I'd recently decorated, I'd have noticed damp patches on the ceiling - but then I remembered the cupboards above the airing cupboard and the one above the hall cupboard.
I had a look - and the ceiling paint was falling, in strips, off the cupboard in the hall, exposing the original limewash!

Well, a very nice young man showed up this morning. I pointed out the cupboard, he agreed, it could be a leak, went into the loft, and found a couple of leaking pipes!
He fixed them, and managed to break the hallway light fitting - that I'd warned him about (it's very close to the attic hatch). Luckily, the lampshade there is metal, and not glass, so that wasn't damaged, and neither was the lad!

Now we know the pipes in the attic are 'past their best', the next time I have a problem, I'll just send them up there!

I believe a person is comng out tomorrow to mend the light :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Oct 2021 23:09

I suppose the lighter side is you are keeping someone in a job!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2021 08:51

I did think that! :-D

Well, not so much ME keping someone in a job, more like the decrepitude of the heating system.

Shame I received a message saying someone was coming out yesterday afternoon, then another saying someone would be out on November 2nd.
I phoned to check, and was told they'd changed the first appointment.
Didn't bother to tell me the first one was cancelled, because, apparently, I just spend my days waiting for workmen!
I pointed out that, had I not been working from home, I could have lost half a days pay, waiting for someone who wasn't going to appear.

THEN I had a call from another department of the council, telling me someone was due to turn up to make sure I'd settled in!
I've been here 9 months:-S
They were due 8 months ago, but cancelled.
Apparently it HAS to be done.

I pointed out, I will be 'settled in' when the floor is repaired.
It's concrete, with old tiles, many broken and actual holes in the concrete!
I was told I should have metioned this on the 'repair' form I had to send back within 2 weeks of my arrival.
I pointed out, that with 2 weeks notice of moving, during a lockdown, with vehicles only allowed to go to the dump once a week, having lived in my previous house for 30 years, a lot of unneccesary stuff came here - so much so, that I couldn't get into one room for 3 months, and couldn't see much of the living room floor due to boxes of books.

A surveyor is now coming out with the 'welcoming committee' on Friday, (may as well make missing my lunchtime worhwhile) and my list of questions is growing :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2021 15:03

So, leaving aside the dodgy water/ heating system,which may have developed a fault after you moved in they moved you into a property with an unsafe, broken floor. They should be grateful you had coveted the floor with boxes whilst you sorted your bits and pieces out, otherwise they might have been visiting you in the orthopaedic ward.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2021 17:58

True,nameslessone!
Every time I vacuum the floor, there's a clattering of cement or (very sharp) broken tile.

There was carpet here when we first looked around. When we saw the state of it in the bedroom, my daughter asked how long the dead tenant had lain on a particular spot before they were found!
I suppose I should be 'grateful' they removed it.

I have a wet room, with a chair in it. I've never used the chair.
The rubber seat and back were worn, and when I lifted them, the underneath was just a load of slime.
I soaked them in bleach and put them in the shed.
I've tried to remove the chair, but the screws are rusty - which makes me wonder how safe it is.
I'm going to ask if, perhaps they'd like to remove it and offer it to someone else.
The answer will be no', so why should I have it? :-|

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Oct 2021 18:08

Speechless.

I can only assume that they thought you were a little old lady who wouldn’t say boo to a goose and would just accept everything as it was.

They got that one wrong :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Oct 2021 19:10

Well, there are hand rails on the front and back doors (I intend growing nasturtiums up the front ones), and in the bathroom - my shower caddy's hanging off the one by the shower :-D

The bungalows here, were built for the elderly (which, age-wise, I suppose I am), but this place was/is definitely not suitable for a frail person, despite the hand-rails!
I sometimes feel guilty when I'm out digging up the garden, but I may be entertaining the lady across the road!