General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sharon

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 1 Dec 2021 16:27

what do you all think of planting a tree in memory of Sharon.
she was such a strong person with all that she had to put up with in her life,
I know flowers are nice but i was horrified the first cremetion i went to,all the flowers had been slung in a scip at the back of the car park.
i always now plant a shrub or tree in memory of someone.
i do it through The Woodland Trust and they can dedicate a tree to that person ,they send you a pack with all the info of where it is planted and a map.they have areas all over where you can put the tree.
or you can buy a tree and plant it in your own garden.
let me know what you think.
wendy (lincs)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 1 Dec 2021 16:34

What a lovely idea Wendy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Dec 2021 17:44

A lovely idea!

Wendy

Wendy Report 1 Dec 2021 18:30

I can arrange it if you like but we had better ask Sharons family,
I know some of you PM with them,perhaps you could ask and let me know,i would need the address to send the paperwork of where its planted to them.
I used to live in sussex near where Sharon lived.moved to lincolnshire 19yrs ago,miss the lovely woods of sussex.
i will look on the Woodland website to see if they have a dedicated area near there.
you can pm or email me.
best wishes wendy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2021 18:31

It is a nice idea Wendy. Are you suggesting this to be from people on here as a group or individually.?

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Dec 2021 10:54

I was thinking from all of us Ann, but was happy to pay for the tree myself.some of you knew Sharon more than me.
I just thought it might be good to remember her this way. A living memory.
those closer to Sharon could if they wished could send a donation to The Woodland Trust,i have been using them for many years ,they will dedicated a tree for all kinds of birthdays,anniversaries memorials etc. i dont get a commision i just use the site .lol
look them up .a good website.
Not wishing to do the florist out of a quid,but so many flowers are just dumped,nuring homes dont accept them any more because they come from funerals.
and we are being encouraged to plant more trees,
wendy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2021 11:58

I am happy to send you money towards it Wendy if we choose to go that route. Hopefully we can get thoughts from others. I know we have combined in the past for flowers and other memorials.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Dec 2021 12:22

I would be more than willing to donate <3

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Dec 2021 13:33

A family member did something similar some years ago. I’m sure we sent money due t to the Woodland Trust to go to the cost of the memorial tree.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Dec 2021 14:56

Hi wendy, I would also be more than happy to contribute.

I met Sharron & Gwyn a few years ago and shall never forget the "mystery tour" we had as we got lost trying to find the pub! She was a real character and I saw the fabulous quilt she worked on for years, was truly amazing <3

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2021 16:15

have had a message from an ex member who is interested in being involved. However she has just said.

"Ah - just looked at the website to work out the overall cost
https://shop.woodlandtrust.org.uk/important-update

"Dedications - We are currently unable to process new dedications and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are very grateful for your support and hope to resume normal service as soon as we can."

So may be that scuppers that idea? May be funeral directors can suggest an alternative? "

Wendy

Wendy Report 2 Dec 2021 18:34

Hi All.
it usually costs me £20 to dedicate a tree which im happy to do for all of us,then when the website is back again single donations can be made direct to Woodland trust.
I think that would be easier rather than money being sent from all over to me.

we can dedicate to Sharon at any time in the future ,when the site is up and running ,rather than ask funeral directors.i cant imagine the site will be off long.
I will look at the weekend for a site near to Chichester.
meanwhile can someone contact family to ask if we can do this,i cant think they will say no,but they may have other charities etc.
if so i will still plant a tree for Sharon on behalf of us.without upsetting the family.Wendy

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Dec 2021 10:55

Wendy....I will PM you.

Wendy

Wendy Report 6 Dec 2021 12:02

Hi Gwyn have just read and replied to you. have been sorting out a boiler all weekend,plumber came this morning so will go on Woodland site later.
wendy.

Wendy

Wendy Report 6 Dec 2021 13:21

have found a site near where Sharron lives,finally spelt her name correctly.
will contact woodland trust by phone the website is still down.
will keep you all updated.
its pouring with rain and VERY cold have to kepp re-typing brain is frozen ,dont like hats!!.still boiler almost fixed.
wendy

Wendy

Wendy Report 6 Dec 2021 13:22

if you type in Worms wood it shows where it is.
wendy