General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone want to come visit????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Dec 2021 22:42

We have 10 cm frozen snow on the ground, 30 cm on the ground only a short distance away. More expected.

Temperature -11C to -12C, having warmed up from around -13C last might.

The wind chill factor makes it feel like -20C at around 2:30 pm.

That's warm compared to what is happening further north where the temperature is down around -40C, or even to -50C

That's what an Arctic outflow does for you :-D

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 28 Dec 2021 08:12

Sure, at least your warmer then we are.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Dec 2021 08:24

I’ve just been watching this on our morning news, Sylvia. In the same hour we saw cricket in the Oz heat and the news that the temperature in London is expected to reach 16/17 degs at the end of the week.

I guess you’ll be well-prepared, well-stocked and well-able to keep warm. How long do you expect those arctic conditions to last?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Dec 2021 09:05

No thanks even though my visit has been cancelled or deferred several times over the last two years

Was going to include an Hawaiian cruise so would have been considerably warmer

Still on my bucket list though :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Dec 2021 10:02

Too cold for me, thank you.

Even as a child, I never enjoyed the snow.

It's beautiful and I don't mind a walk in it, when it's still crisp and newly fallen, but I don't like extremes of temperature generally.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Dec 2021 10:53

Same here, Gwyn, very much a mid temp person. I can’t cope with high temperatures and luckily, so far, haven’t yet experienced truly cold weather.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Dec 2021 11:32

We have snow up the mountain if we want to see snow, thank you for the offer though ;-) :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Dec 2021 14:02

Pat
I remember when we lived in Cyprus,we took our elder 2 children to stay at Troodos, so they could see snow.

Son wanted to bring some snow back to Famagusta in the large cool box, so that he could show friends at playschool.

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Dec 2021 15:06

Tempting Sylvia but I'll stick with my mild hovering around freezing right now, only problem with that is there's more ice than snow. If I have to have one I'd rather snow!

I'll send your weather back to you shortly don't worry :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Dec 2021 18:16

Gee, I don't know

Lot of cowards you lot are :-D :-D

We're warm compared with most of the rest of BC who have those very low temperatures!

Caroline ......... don't worry, this weather is on its way to you, although you might be a little too far south for the worst of.

JoyL ............ they're saying until "at least" New Year. There's certainly no sign of it warming up too much, it's around -7 or -8C now vs -11/-12 at about the same time yesterday.

I don't enjoy being out in the snow now, and have never liked "winter sports" right from I went to Kitzbuehel back in the late '50s, but I do like to look out at it when it is all white and sparkling in the sun, which it still is.

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 Dec 2021 19:40

I think I'm missing the worse of it Sylvia might even get to 6 on Friday :-D

I heard some parts of BC and Alberta were minus 55....you can keep that thank you very much.

Allan

Allan Report 28 Dec 2021 21:21

I'll give it a whirl, Sylvia :-)

Everyday since Christmas the temps here have been hovering around 39-40c. Even today with cooler weather forecast, about 24c, it is already 22c at 0520 :-(

I'm useless in the heat. Mind you, according to my OH, I'm useless all the time :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Dec 2021 23:00

Caroline ........ I'm thinking that the town where OH's sister lived might be getting the -55C with wind chill. We used to spend Christmas there regularly when she was alive (died 2014), and it was almost always at least in the -20s and often below -30s, without wind chill added on.

One of her children now lives in the family house, but they're spending Christmas with in-laws in another small town in se BC.

Allan .......... you're welcome!! You'll have to hurry though, the weather might change this weekend. Don't forget your long johns. :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 29 Dec 2021 00:05

Allan when you go your eyeball will literally freeze and then you'll have snotciles hanging from your nose LOL and yes I've walked the kids to school in minus 30's it's fun!! :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Dec 2021 00:11

Caroline ................ how about the nose crackling inside?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Dec 2021 07:49

When we took our daughter to see snow for the first time, she was three.

We never had it where we lived so it meant a trip to Lake Mountain in Victoria.

When we parked, I told both of our children to stay in the car while I got wellies from the boot. I turned to see daughter sitting in the snow, eating it! The expression that sprung to mind was that, to her, it looked good enough to eat.

She has always had that frisson of excitement when it snows and she spent much of her time between the ages of 11 and 16 at the local ice rink when we returned to the UK.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Dec 2021 23:50

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....................

we're still below 0C, about -9C last night, and around -4C today. More snow due, starting between 5-7 pm this evening, ie right in the middle of rush hour :-D , with much more falling overnight, possibly 5-10 cm here by tomorrow morning.

Eventually rain is forecast for Sunday