General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deed poll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jan 2022 17:53

Hello everyone, my name is Caroline and I am new to this site. I am going to ask a question, I probably know the answer but I'm going to put it out there anyway. We changed our name by deed poll more than 20 years ago. We did not have the birth certificates changed. When I started my tree I automatically put down our new name and in 'notes' put our old name, should I have done it the other way round?
Also. I don't know how I did it put I'v made my father in law look like my mother in laws son, (you'v got to laugh) how do I put that right. Looking forward to some feed back
Keep safe

Gillx

Gillx Report 1 Jan 2022 18:35

Hi Caroline, you need to put your old name onto your tree as that was the name you were born with which would link you to her parents, grandparents etc...you can then add your new name to your notes. As for mistakenly putting your father-in-law in as your mother-in-law's son, just delete him, if you've added a wife and children for him as her son then you'd need to start at the bottom of your tree and remove everyone back to your father-in-law's name as Genes won't let you remove just him, then you'll be able to delete him. i hope this helps.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jan 2022 18:36

Welcome to the Boards

I don't know the answer to your question, but I did just want to warn you that you have exactly the same board name as another Caroline, who has been posting for many years.

You might wish to change your name slightly to avoid confusion, for you and us ;-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Jan 2022 18:57

:-D :-D

Or put a nice picture of herself unlike my old fleabag horse selfie ...

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jan 2022 20:49

There probably isn't any need to do any deleting. Just add a spouse to the mother-in-law using the Find Existing tab. Then edit him to remove the mother-in-law as his mother.

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Jan 2022 21:04

Hi everyone, thanks for your feed back. Another Caroline? I will adjust my name slightly, perhaps by putting my initial in?