General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Jan 2022 22:26

I can see me being up late tonight hoping to find out where my Grandparents were, who else will be up late too?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2022 00:50

I've just bought a couple of images but didn't realise that "address" is not one of the things recorded.

I don't think I will be spending too much on the 1921 census as most of the people in my tree I know where they were living or they were already dead by 1921. Those records that I did want it was for the address.

Disappointed at the moment.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Jan 2022 04:03

I've also tried it.

Found the free image doesn't show that much, hard lines if you're looking for a common name with a number of them born in the same year and place.

I also bought 2 transcripts ....... the first one (an uncle) was not my guy, the second was my dad and his family.

All in the family were listed, as they should have been as none of them married until 1923 at the earliest.

Having paid for the transcript, I could also click on all other members of the family. There was interesting information on what their job was and where they worked, followed by extra information on where those work places were, what they did and how many people worked there along with their names.

Another interesting thing was that the two youngest children were 12 and 14, the 14 year old was out at wok but the youngest did not have any information though she should have been still at school. There was an extra column for those two:- Orphanhood: Father Dead.

I found it interesting that it was shown for the 14 year old, as 12 was the age to leave school.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Jan 2022 07:59

Click the arrow to the right of the actual image to find the address.,

>>>>>You must click on the right hand arrow when you actually view the image ,,,,,,,,not after you have down loaded it.>>>>>>>>>

,it shows the front of the schedule.as each indvidual form has been done back and front.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2022 11:11

I've bought 2 images up to now and I can't see any arrow to the right of either of them.

I know from the original search which town they both live but not the actual address.

I know I could now search by address just using the town but then you have to pay again for a list of addresses from that image (at least that is what I imagine happens).

EDIT - Apologies, I have now found the address. I was looking at a downloaded image which was full screen size and didn't have the arrow to the next page. It IS there on the original image which is a smaller size.

Kath.

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Jan 2022 11:36

is it worth buying as i now where my mum amd grandprents lived from the london 1921 er

however my paternal grandfather is living with his wife and daughter and one other ?
does the price of the image included the transcription
how can i upload it to ancestry

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jan 2022 15:12

The price of the image is only for the image You have to pay extra for the transcription so I only bought the image.

The only thing you might not have is where your family worked which the 1921 does give and also people's ages in years and months which should be more accurate than just in years.

Have no idea whether you can upload to Ancestry as I don't use that website.

Kath. x

Von

Von Report 6 Jan 2022 15:25

I have downloaded an image where there isn’t an address.

Thank you Kay for the advice to click on the arrows but even when I did this the address is not there. :-(

I know now where it should be as I also have another family where the address is clearly visible.
What is interesting are the places of employment. Something else to research :-D

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 6 Jan 2022 21:27

When you have bought the image and are looking at it online, at the bottom of the image it says, thumbnails, extra materials, transcripts.
You need to click on extra materials, that opens some small thumbnails, the third one along labelled front has the address on it

Kense

Kense Report 6 Jan 2022 22:25

It seems that once you have downloaded the image, the image held in My Records is the jpg of the main page. To get the page with the address you have to do another (free) search to have the option of looking at the cover page and maps etc.

Linda

Linda Report 6 Jan 2022 22:55

We I wanted to prove my grandad was a big fibber and I've done that :-D he told me once that his father was a mounted policeman in Canada but found long time ago this was not true, then he always told the whole family he was one of fifteen but tonight I've prove him wrong again he was one of eleven still a big family but not as big as he made out

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Jan 2022 00:18

If you hover over the image or transcript thumbnail, BEFORE you pay anything, it says a little about other members of the household eg 'living with John, Caroline Mary and 3 others'. No surnames, but you might recognise them. If you look up the members listed, and hover again, you might be able to work out exactly who was living with your subject. I managed to identify the family my relative was working for by looking for the Caroline Marys in Coulsdon, and by process of elimination identified 5 out of 6 members of the household.

I'm on a budget, so being stingy... :-D

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2022 02:00

Well, well, well, well, well!

Shake the closet and hear the skeletons rattle :-D

I've just downloaded my maternal grandfathers record and what was on there confirms somethings, but is totally at odds with what is on various other records such as birth certificates and, in my grandmother's case, her death certificate.

Still, value for money

Von

Von Report 7 Jan 2022 09:43

Linda
I have the address page but there is nothing written on it :-(

I have two other downloads both of which have the address on them its the third one that has the address missing although the address page is there.

Included in the 4 images that I have for this particular family only 2 pages have any written information on them.
I have contacted FMP but it could be a while before I hear from them.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Jan 2022 18:27

Oh dear Avon, it sounds like the enumerator forgot to put it on. Hopefully FMP can work it out from the images on each side, but as you say they will be inundated at the moment

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 7 Jan 2022 18:42

I have followed my Grandmother and I still think she lied about where my Grandfather was from, mum was told he was a respectable businessman from Reading but it is looking very like he was from Gateshead and not a businessman, the name is the same though.

Annx

Annx Report 7 Jan 2022 18:54

I found the enumerator had my dad down as a 'daughter'. He was a tiny baby so It must have been his unusual name, unless they expected a girl and dressed him in pink!

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jan 2022 20:48

My mother, Frances, was shown on the transcript as Frank

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Jan 2022 22:51

Having looked at the dreadful handwriting of OH’s great grandfather, I am not surprised by the mis transcriptions. The poor enumerator tried his best to decipher it, but failed miserably.
I wonder how many of the ages in years and months are actually correct, not many from what I have seen so far

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 8 Jan 2022 18:36

I have paid for about four. Just got the main ones. Others can be done when the cost is lower or free lol