General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mean, thrifty or environmentally friendly?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2022 13:11

I posted, a while back, about my finding a very old, way out of date bottle of olive oil, and using it (with vinegar) for cleaning/oiling/revitalising woodwork and even a 1940's papier mache suitcase, which turned from a muddy grey colour to a beautiful mid-blue! :-D

Well, last week, my sister found an open bottle of vodka, that was over 10 years old.
She didn't want to drink it - neither did she want to throw it away.
So far, she's cleared mould away with it, and used it to clean her glass shower cubicle.
Apparently, you can also use it when you wash your hair - it stops it frizzing!
I don't have this problem - sister does - so that's next weeks challenge for her!
She has to pluck up the courage first - there could also be a 'problem', in that it may remove her hair dye (another 'problem' I don't have). :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jan 2022 13:51

I got an insect bite whilst in Russia. The vodka that came with the lunch worked a treat. Externally that is ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Jan 2022 14:08

Apparently there are lots of uses for Vodka, removing stains from clothes, cleaning teeth

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Jan 2022 14:13

For what it is worth there is far to much importance with sell and use by dates the only ones to gain anything are the producers, growers etc. we have consumed things that are out of date and always done so.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Jan 2022 14:27

Isn't alcohol a preservative - so it wouldn't go off?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2022 14:28

Good use, names!

I agree about 'use by' dates, ZZzzz - but my olive oil was about 3 years past it's 'use by' date, was open, and was/is a murky colour!
Vodka that's been open for over 10 years - hmmmm - :-S

Apparently vodka will also kill weeds. :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Jan 2022 14:51

My Mum used to wash the arm pits of my school blouses in Vodka and would take the collar and cuff my Dads non working shirts and wash them in Vodka too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2022 15:22

ZZzzz - your comment made me 'Google' - vodka can be used as a deodorant! :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Jan 2022 16:36

maggiewinchester. Yes but from the outside :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Jan 2022 16:58

:-D :-D :-D

Much better way to do it!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 Jan 2022 10:23

Never tried vodka other than as a drink.

I always use vinegar and water to clean windows and skirting boards and it seems to deter flies too.

In the past I’ve always poured washing-up water over the roses. It works well.

I think we often pick up habits and tips from our parents. Has anyone found the same?

The one thing I know that I have given a miss is that my Mum swore by gargling with salted water. I think it began after she suffered from quinzies (spelling?), something which I have not heard of for decades.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2022 11:17

Prior to my insect bite I would only use vodka internally - habit from my dad ;-)

I’ve used the vinegar idea on windows but never skirting boards and will still gargle with salt water if I’ve got a really bad sore throat.

Apart from drinking the vodka I’m not sure I got any of those from my parents.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jan 2022 12:40

Vodka is said to be good for arthritis, and for your heart - among other things:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/drinks/a18825988/vodka-health-benefits/

Sounds as if we should all drink a lot more of it!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2022 14:13

Good tip, ArgyllGran! :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Jan 2022 14:38

Put vodka in the tank ... 81 mph!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=659557408053797

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 9 Jan 2022 16:23

Vodka good for arthritis, never heard that, maybe try it, might cure my gouty knees :-D