General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Citalopram

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Jan 2022 08:59

Do any of you good peeps take Citalopram and if so do you have any side effects please.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2022 09:03

Side effects seem to be

Common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping, sexual problems, shakiness, feeling tired, and sweating.[5] Serious side effects include an increased risk of suicide in those under the age of 25, serotonin syndrome, glaucoma, and QT prolongation.[5] It should not be used in persons who take or have recently taken a MAO inhibitor.[5] Antidepressant discontinuation syndrome may occur when stopped.

Are you taking them or been prescribed them,

Maybe if you are concerned then your doctor can talk it through and prescribe something else

Doesn’t answer your question though as I have never taken them

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 19 Jan 2022 09:15

Thank you Shirley.
I have just started taking them and feel awful. I know it says the side effects wear off in a couple of days but I cant feel this ill as I have my husband to care for.
My docs are pretty useless nowadays and cant get an app with them only with a nurse who is lovely but very hard to understand.

Dont get me wrong, I know they are all really overworked. :-(

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 19 Jan 2022 10:59

I don't take them, but if you are worried and can't speak to your GP maybe a call to your local pharmacist might help as they will be able to talk you through the side effects. We find our pharmacist really helpful .
Hope you feel better soon.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 19 Jan 2022 11:12

You could try 111, I have found them helpful in the past.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jan 2022 18:44

From?

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 20 Jan 2022 09:49

Rollo, do you mean from the tablets?

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 20 Jan 2022 11:09

AnnMarieG,

Please speak to a Dr, Nurse, or Pharmacist before doing anything . If you can't get the help from them do phone 111 and ask them to assist you . As Shelia said above they can be very helpful.

Personally I don't think a non medical person should be advising you to stay away from medicine that has been prescribed for you. It doesn't help you in any way to be told 'Stay Away'. In fact it could be dangerous. I'm sure you will be careful and get the right advice.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Ginnie.

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 20 Jan 2022 14:55

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated. Stay safe. :-)

Wendy

Wendy Report 21 Jan 2022 15:35

AnnMarieG do you have any support for you.looking after someone can be very stressful.
there is an ofrganisation called Carers First,they look after the carer,i am with them because i have 2 adult sons to look after,they are amazing and help with all kinds of things.it eases the burden and i personally dont take anti depressants. i have to take other meds for age related probs.which give some side effects.
I am a retired working carer and there are so many people struggling and dont know about Carers first,its government liked ,and is really supportive .
best wishes
wendy

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 22 Jan 2022 08:46

Hello Wendy,
Thank you so much.

I didnt know about Carers First but will look into it.

I dont have any support but care for my darling husband full time.

It is very wearing some times as he has many ailments but we have always looked after each other thoughout our 47 years of married life and it is now my turn to look after him.

AnnMarie

Wendy

Wendy Report 22 Jan 2022 15:43

Dont struggle Annemarie,help is out there,please give Carers First a call, they do an assesment on the carer ,which is great,they look after our needs as well as the person being cared for. I have 2 sons to look after one physically disabled and the other with mental problems.they have been very supportive.
they will ask if you are getting the financial help that you are entitled to like Attendance Allowance and you can claim for Carers benefit.when i was working as a live-in carer so many clients were unaware that they were entitled to benefits,also if you have a stair lift or other things that need electricity,you can register for priority connection with your supplier also water.if there is a powercut they will get you connected quickly.
hope this info helps.
take care wendy

AnnMarieG

AnnMarieG Report 23 Jan 2022 09:04

Thank you Wendy. Will do. xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Jan 2022 11:13

I have been on Citalopram for years, specifically for my hoarding problems and low mood. It takes about three weeks for them to kick in so would be a good I dea to try for three or four weeks if you can cope.

Do try to get support tho as soon as you can. Even talking things out will help, I am sure and it may be that a little assistance is available that you don’t know about or haven’t been able to access previously.

Take care of yourself too, become a bit selfish occasionally and do something for yourself as well as making your husband a priority.

Lizxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Jan 2022 11:13

I have been on Citalopram for years, specifically for my hoarding problems and low mood. It takes about three weeks for them to kick in so would be a good I dea to try for three or four weeks if you can cope.

Do try to get support tho as soon as you can. Even talking things out will help, I am sure and it may be that a little assistance is available that you don’t know about or haven’t been able to access previously.

Take care of yourself too, become a bit selfish occasionally and do something for yourself as well as making your husband a priority.

Lizxx