General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ceramic dishes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Feb 2022 18:41

I bought a pair of white ovenproof ceramic dishes a few months ago. They were the perfect size for a small lasagne or fish pie or just for serving veg in at the table.

I have noticed recently that the sides and handles have changed colour to a faded grey! Its as if what ever the base colour was, its now coming through but they look awful as if they are not clean. The centre of both rectangular dishes are still white but even the outsides are now going grey.

Anybody experienced this or has any idea why this might have happened?

Thoughts please

Florence in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Feb 2022 19:35

I have a rectangular dish and Lid and they have crazed rather badly , look awful!!!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Feb 2022 19:51

Ah that's the phrase Bob, crazed.Yes they do look awful. If I was having a dinner guest, i wouldnt use them at all, id be too embarrassed.

But I wonder why it happens?

Florence in the hebrided

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Feb 2022 21:42

Mine were intended initially for knocking up bread pudding.... but need a really good soak and scrub before use....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Feb 2022 23:09

It could be that, even though they're described as 'ovenproof', they're only 'ovenproof' up to a certain temperature.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2022 08:36

Florence, I have a vague notion that the white coat has ‘not set’ properly and it may have something to do with kiln time - but that’s just something in the back of my mind from years ago when I fancied having a go at pottery and reading about it. If my recollection is correct the dishes when the white colour was applied may have not been ‘baked’ long enough.

A potter will know the answer, of course…… and I may be on the wrong track altogether and it may simply be the result of an abrasive wash. :-S

Good luck! :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Feb 2022 11:48

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/13173-discolored-bisque/

Florence, I found this a little earlier.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Feb 2022 12:26

Florence have you put them in the dishwasher? If so are you sure they are dish washer safe?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Feb 2022 13:25

Sounds as if the glaze is faulty, allowing moisture to seep through.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Feb 2022 17:25

We have a half dozen rectangular dishes, white, ceramic which we bought in a sale from Villeroy and Boch years ago. We use them quite often and after getting them out of the dishwasher they look as good as new.

Of the original 8 2 were broken so I got four more from Tesco Homewares. They were much cheaper and after 2 years look somewhat scruffy though usable. I use the Tesco ones for our cat.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Feb 2022 20:09

Thanks for all your suggestions. They are overproof and i dont have a dishwasher. It maybe as they were not terribly expensive, the colour has worn off althpugh,in the inside of the dishes both are still quite white, its the sides and outsides that are greyish in colour.

Florence in the hebrides