General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GedCom problems

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 23 Feb 2022 18:27

I have a tree numbering over 5000 people and would like a print out - I know it is probably too large - but when I request a Gedcom from GR less than 300 names are contained on it! I also need to be able to view the Gedcom before submitting it for printing. Any ideas please to solve my problems?
(I did most of my tree and research work in the late 90's and am just returning to it!)
Thanks, Dave.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Feb 2022 19:05

I don’t think you are alone. There is a useful thread on genealogy chat that has just been added to which might help. ( originally started by Shelley Rose)

Sorry but I can’t post the link.

David

David Report 23 Feb 2022 19:31

Thanks nameslessone I'll head over there and try find it!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Feb 2022 12:14

David.
On the GR Home page my tree shows as 5984. So, like you, I have over 5000. I am sure that my number is correct - only a few names garnered in the past year so I have not called out a .ged file recently.

But I will now, as your statement causes me some concern.

For clarification:- Are you stating that the number of people showing on your Home page is over 5000, but the number arriving in the .ged export is under 300? If so, what software did you use to count them?

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Feb 2022 12:36

As usually the case in the past, the export did not take long to arrive. I have imported it into PAF 5. The total number is there, but it looks as if I have made an error.

Individuals: 5982
Marriages: 1783
Sources: 0
Repositories: 0
Errors: 2

The following lines in the GEDCOM file could not be processed due to unrecognizable tags or invalid data:
ERROR 1: 20220224.GED, line 62973: MRIN 85: A female individual (I109) has been defined as the husband in a family.
ERROR 2: 20220224.GED, line 62974: MRIN 85: A male individual (I118) has been defined as the wife in a family.

Fancy me getting the sexes in a mix!!!!!! That will take a while to resolve.

David

David Report 24 Feb 2022 22:06

Hi Inky1 - I last worked on my tree late 90's and have just returned to it - there have been births, deaths and marriages so I am not sure of the total individuals. I requested GedCom and sent it to MyHistory for printing without checking content first - tut tut - the number of individuals was 241?? I have asked advice from GR Support and await a response.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Feb 2022 08:59

David,
As per my first post:- Click 'Home' (should be at the top of your screen) and scroll down. There is a little box that states how many records are in your tree. If it shows 241 the .ged that you downloaded is correct. If it shows 5000+ there is a problem that GR need resolve for you.

You state that you worked on your tree in the late 90's. But when I hover the mouse over your avatar (no photo) it shows 'Member since October 2004.' And 3 posts - being your posts on this thread. Could your earlier work have been done on another site?

David

David Report 25 Feb 2022 19:52

Inky
My early work was all written, note form and on purchased tree charts until I decided to use GR - I put an initial 150ish individuals on and suddenly a relative of my wife got in touch - he had been looking for our link for 20+ years and came to see us with his records and added 5000 more! Back in 2008 I managed to save a 'box tree' on my PC and saved it on three A4 pages but......I can't remember how I did it! Hey ho will wait to hear from GR regarding GedCom problem.
Regards, David

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Feb 2022 10:38

David,
You have still not answered my question re: the number of records that your GR Home page shows?

David

David Report 26 Feb 2022 10:55

Inky
Sorry about that - just shows I have 240 individuals on GR. However I did use Legacy on a Windows machine before switching to a Mac and GR and that is where the 5000+ were accumulated - I might try and resurrect it sometime!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 26 Feb 2022 11:02

David,
So there we have it at last.
Your tree on this site was seemingly correctly downloaded into a .ged.
Your early data is indeed somewhere else.
Perhaps you should send another message to GR?????

David

David Report 27 Feb 2022 18:18

Inky
It's an age thing and lapsing memory of previous work.
Thanks for your help and concern