General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Floods in eastern Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Mar 2022 16:38

I saw on some news that there is serious flooding in parts of Sydney and surrounding areas, it really is dreadful with cars floating in rivers and people evacuated from their homes. I have a cousin who works as a lecturer at the University and this morning i received an email from him.

He says he could not travel 60 miles home because the railways were flooded and the roads so he went and stayed overnight with his parents. But he said this morning they were all put on alert and might have to evacuate the property.. I haven't heard from him since.

With everything else going on in the news just now re Ukraine etc, other news has obviously taken a back slot.

But people have died in Australia

Is it just Allan from Western Australia on here or are there any other members in Australia, i cant recall?

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Mar 2022 16:57

I think among current members it is just Allan but there are, I think. People with relatives there. Allan is not in Sydney though.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Mar 2022 17:17

My cousin in Western Australia told me that Sidney and Queensland were flooders up to roof level a week ago.
Edit Flooded.

Allan

Allan Report 8 Mar 2022 21:21

Yes, I'm just south of Perth.

Totally opposite weather to that affecting the Eastern States. Their 'wet spell' is still continuing in both Queensland and NSW with, unfortunately, a number of deaths in each State :-(

Apart from a tropical cyclone up north recently, we have experienced periods of extreme heat, although punctuated by bouts of milder weather.

In OZ the main news is about the floods, the Ukrainian crisis has taken a back seat

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 10 Mar 2022 22:52

Hi - haven’t been on for a long while. The floods are horrendous on our east coast. Roads closed, homes lost and evacuations in areas that have never had a problem with flooding.
We are south of Sydney and though we have received an enormous amount of rain we are safe thank goodness. We have a nephew who lives west of Sydney and he and his dog had to be rescued from his home as the waters rose quickly….it was a worrying wait to hear that he was safe.

Allan

Allan Report 10 Mar 2022 23:22

Sue, it's nice to see you on the Boards again, although the circumstances are not very pleasant.

I'm thankful that your nephew is safe. We couldn't believe our eyes when some of the scenes of devastation were aired on the various news outlets.

I don't honestly know how people are managing to cope with the conditions.

How are conditions where you are?

Stay safe :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Mar 2022 09:20

RTR what exactly does that article have to do with flooding in Australia and those of us who have relatives or live in those areas?

Suemaid, I remember you from a long time ago,lovely to see you posting. My cousin is about 60 miles south of Sydney and his parents were on alert but thankfully they did not get flooded or have to be evacuated. My cousin said in all his 57 years, he has never seen floods like these!

Hope your nephew and his dog are ok.

stay safe

Florence in the hebrides

Maddie

Maddie Report 11 Mar 2022 14:11

it was late last night when saw any in depth coverage of the floods, devistating for those involved. i was 8 when my family were flooded out and i remember the problems it caused
where i think pre bexit we had an informative news serivce, they changed and are now increasingly obsessive focusing on one subject, beating it to death and then moving on to the next one. Whilst i understand we need to keep up with events what is happening in the rest of the world is just as important

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Mar 2022 14:20

Maddie, I tend to agree with you. Whilst the war in Ukraine is obviously very important, I do feel that other events like the flooding in Australia got little footage yet it was a serious disaster for those affected losing their homes although different circumstances.

I do watch the news at least once during the day, but it annoys me when they don't actually have anything new to add and just keep going over old news. I want to know what is happening re the war like everyone does but I also want to hear other news too.

Im sure lots of people feel the same.

Florence in the hebrides

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Mar 2022 16:38

I have lots of close rellies in Queensland, NSW some of whom have been there > 70 years others ten or so.I have not been there since the fires and floods and covid.

Australia is on a worrying drift away from truth and towards an authoritarian state. The link to "The First Dog in the Moon" ( an Australian comic strip) is about Morrison's authoritarianism.

Fires and floods are part of the life cycle of Australia. Howver the climate disasters of the last ten years have been exacerbated by climate change with events way off where they should be eg Indian Ocean. Morrison denies climate change seeing no harm in yet more coal mining for instrance.

Which brings me back to Queensland floods.

Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Mar 2022 17:27

My cousin in Australia told me about the floods a week before it was in the news, so how does that fit in with news!

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Mar 2022 22:15

Thank you Allan and Florence - I do pop in now and then :-)

Where we are there have been no evacuations although down the coast there have been a number of small coastal towns cut off from the main roads. Everything is so wet and the humidity is very uncomfortable.