General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shackleton's Ship

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Mar 2022 10:32

Fantastic feat to find it 107 years after it sank and in 10,000 feet of water too.

Not too many years ago that would have been impossible.

Added to that the fact that the crew all survived in the most inhospitable conditions on the planet.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 9 Mar 2022 10:38

Fascinating video of Endurance, so well preserved too :-0

It was found on the 100th anniversary of Shackleton's funeral too :-0

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Mar 2022 18:03

Amazing pictures on TV this morning.

The incredible preservation is marvellous.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 10 Mar 2022 10:49

It looked in superb condition from pictures but that is due to water temperatures, I think.

I believe his granddaughter was on telly this morning, laying claim to the ship on behalf of the family and warning off anyone who feels like filching bits and pieces from it. I was only half-listening, I'm afraid, but the gist of it was that although the insurance paid out, the wreck still belongs to the family.

I have a feeling that she also said it ought to be left where it is to preserve its appearance.

I believe that the ship's log and important items were already recovered as the crew was saved. There will, of course, be heavier items and china, glassware etc as well as, perhaps, a few personal effects inside - but they will have an appeal to some.

It would be good if it could be left where it was, intact and with goods and chattels, as a memorial.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2022 10:55

I believe that the ship's location and depth will be a deterrent to anyone thinking of trying to salvage anything. I hope so anyway as I agree that it should be left where it is.

Kath. x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Mar 2022 11:28

Yes it should be left there.

I was just thinking how interested our Sharron would be about this.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Mar 2022 16:49

Indeed she would, AnnG <3

I think someone on one of the reports said that the water was so clean, almost like distilled water and that helped a lot with the preservation.