General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Long Lost Family Special tonight

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 6 Jun 2022 15:01

Switched at Birth.

Just noticed while reading the TV schedule
:-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Jun 2022 16:58

Shall watch this with a box of tissues handy as think it will be an emotional one!

Florence in the hebrides

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 6 Jun 2022 17:56

Different for sure Florence :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Jun 2022 00:51

I watched this and whereas I usually need a box of tissues for the normal Long Lost Family programmes this didn't make me feel so emotional. In fact I think the lady opened a Pandora's Box for the baby she was switched with. She looked to me as if she would never get over finding out at the age of 77 that her family were not her birth family.

The lady the programme was following had always had an inkling she'd been switched so she'd had all her life to think about it all.

I ended up thinking that it would have been better if she hadn't done anything (although I know she found her "real" brother) but at what cost to someone else?

Kath. x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Jun 2022 08:27

Kathleen, I agree. It wasn't emotional like some of the other programmes at all.

I didn't even think when she did meet her "real" brother, that it was that special. Yes she had thought about it for a long time and so therefore to learn the truth wasn't a huge shock really.

I felt sorry for the other lady who was so worried that she would lose the brother she had known all her life!

Unfortunately once the lid has been opened, it cant be put back on.

Florence in the hebrides

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 7 Jun 2022 09:28

The thing that made the programme for me was how the families in Sicily (I might have got the place wrong ;-) ) dealt with it when it happened to them, All these years later they are like one big happy family.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Jun 2022 09:38

Amazing how the families in Sicily came to resolve their unfortunate circumstances.

What a dilema for the 2 ladies who were switched in Weymouth.

The lady who had a long-time inkling that there was a problem was pleased to have confirmation, although many times in the programme it was stressed that she had a close and loving family and a happy childhood.

Should she have been barred from finding her birth family ?

A difficult time for the other switch family. I hope they continue to receive support.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 7 Jun 2022 11:34

I felt so sad for the lady who found out that she had been brought up in the wrong family, she seemed overwhelmed when talking to Nicky and when she faltered over saying about her mother and father I just thought she must have found it really hard. I liked how Nicky assured her that they were still her family .

The other family were amazing with how they made an awful situation a wonderful one.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jun 2022 20:55

A very strange episode. I felt uncomfortable with the entitlement she felt . They proved she was swopped just by finding she was connected to another family group.

I hope Jacky recovers from this awful shock.