General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone on here use Picasa to download photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jun 2022 09:20

For many, many years I have used Picasa to download and edit photos on my desk top. Microsoft now do not support Picasa. This has not so far affected mt downloading from my camera to Picasa. But in the last couple of months I have been unable to download photos sent to me by family into Picasa and can't work out how to get them in there.

I thought I would be able to put them onto the desk top and then into Picasa but that didn't work. I am not sure if the problem is with microsoft, windows10 or google.

Any ideas anyone? :-S :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 13 Jun 2022 10:24

Ann, I have windows 10 and when I transfer pics from my phone, it just saves them into Pictures. I dont have any special programme on here.

You can then click on a picture and edit, crop etc. i never installed any programme.

In your taskbar, is there an icon that looks like a file? If so click on that and you should see, a menu which shows, document, downloads and Pictures. That is where your pictures should be stored.

Hope this helps

Florence in the hebrides

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 13 Jun 2022 10:49

Ann, we’re much the same as Florence. OH downloads from his camera straight into the Pictures file. You can make folders within that file. We have a folder for each year. Within that you can have sub-folders headed whatever you like e.g. Garden, Holiday etc. So you don’t have to plough through lots of photos to find the one you want. As Florence says you can edit your photos without any special programme.

We’re on Windows 11 but have been doing it this way for years so it must have been available on earlier versions of Windows.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jun 2022 10:58

Yes , thank you for your help., I have all my photos in my pictures but I am used to editing in Picasa which is the way I prefer to do it. I have years of photos and albums in picasa. If it can't be done I will resort to my pictures. It is just annoying when Microsoft have supported Picasa for years but suddenly decide to stop.

I do have folders for each individual download from the camera in Pictures. That is not the problem I have though. The 'my pictures' folders were always replicated in Picasa which was a good programme for editing.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 13 Jun 2022 12:04

Ah, I had misunderstood, though I did think it strange that you didn’t know about Pictures. Of course you know about Pictures - silly me.

As I understand from googling Picasa was owned by Google and they stopped supporting it in 2016. You can go on using Picasa but you won’t get any updates to it or help if something goes wrong.

I wonder if there is a Picasa user forum where you could put your question about being unable to download photos sent to you. Another user might have had the same problem and found a solution.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jun 2022 13:10

Yes I wondered that Vera, I may try later. I had a rest from it as I had to go and get on with weeding the garden, al lot of the wild flowers are over now and it looks scruffy so I have spent an hour out there.
I think I knew it was a google programme, I wonder if I put the downloads into google docs it will do it. I have no problem getting them into pictures, although it seems a clumsy way of doing it. And if nobody sends me photos to download I don't have a problem as I can still get my photos from the camera into both picasa ans Pictures.

I will have another try later. Meanwhile I had better have some lunch.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Jun 2022 16:50

You will be perfectly happy with IrfanView ( free ). OK with Windows 10,11.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jun 2022 21:30

Is it similar to Picassa Rollo? I.e not as complicated S photoshop?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jun 2022 09:29

Ann am I right in thinking you have duplicates of all your photos? One copy in pictures and another in Picassa?
Do they take up a lot of space on your PC?

Once I have edited any pics etc, I save them onto a memory stick in folders. That way
they dont take up all the space. My sil sends me hundreds of pics when they go away so decided to buy a 32GB stick and put all their pics on that.

Hope you get sorted soon.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jun 2022 09:45

Florence Photography is and always has been my main hobby. I have thousands of photos. I have never yet exceeded memory with photos using Pictures and picasa. I save all important photos (i.e. those that I want to keep ) on memory sticks. Older photos from a previous computer are on an external hard drive and before that photos from negatives are in albums.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jun 2022 14:29

Ah Ann very good. i thought you probably did save on memory sticks.

I had no idea though that photography was your main hobby. Sorry for asking daft questions!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jun 2022 16:01

Not a daft question at all, although if your followed the Hobbies Board I am sure I would have said at some time. I have had a camera of one sort or another and usually more than one at a time and have taken photos since I was 11 years old. I used to use my Dad's concertina fold Kodak camera at first (1961). In the 80s we had a dark room for me and I developed and printed black and white photos but when we moved here there was nowhere to do it so the equipment was passed on in the family. I rarely go out without a camera although not when shopping of course.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2022 13:11

IrfanView is dead ez to install and use. However if you should need them it has a lot of more sophisticated features as well.
Given DL and install only takes a few minutes why not give it a try ?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jun 2022 13:18

thanks I will. I have had another one suggested. What do you know about Fastone ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Jun 2022 14:59

Fasttone is essentially an image viewer pure n simple. written in delphi 2004 the wrinkles show. IrfanView is always up to date. It also save images full size which is not the case with some imaging apps.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Jun 2022 13:18

Thanks Rollo. when I have time from doing the garden I will look atIrfanview as you suggest.