General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2022 11:37

Do scammers get offended when you call them out?

I mean, they could use the excuse 'It's just a job', but I'm sure as hell they wouldn't like their parent/grandparent to be scammed out of their money.

Just had a call, when I was attempting to work out how to put the glass doors back on the bookcase (they've been put on and taken off so many times, the pieces are mixed up).

I wasn't too happy to stop what I was doing, be told I'd 'been in a car accident that 'wasn't my fault'.

As I advised the 'lady' - It couldn't have been my fault, as I don't drive. I then suggested she 'went away' ;-) and stopped scamming people.
Her response? 'There's no need to be like that'!!

Really? There's every 'need' to be like that!!!!!

It's like the thief complaining because you scared them when you walked in on them stealing your stuff :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Jun 2022 13:06

They don't like it up em (to quote Corporal Jones) do they Maggie :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2022 13:14

:-D :-D :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jun 2022 13:39

It’s their human right to annoy us. :- :-P

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2022 14:33

In which case, It's my human right to swear at them!!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Jun 2022 14:42

:-D :-D :-D :-D,mine too

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jun 2022 14:52

I have started saying when they ask me is it a good time to call? (I get a few life insurance calls etc,) no it isnt, Im really not well. They then apologize for disturbing me and wish me well :-D :-D :-D :-D

But one of the obvious scammer calls got really cross when i said, Go away, I never invited you to ring me and said to me,"You cant speak to me like that." Sorry pal but its my right to decide who calls me not the other way round.

Florence in the hebrides :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jun 2022 15:01

When I have a phone call nos unrecognised I am very abrupt on answering

I only ever answer Hello anyway !

My phone was ex directory nos withheld and not accept nos withheld nos

This caused problems when hubby was hospitalised and now with my now health problems so I have had to take it off

Have had a couple of calls nos witheld and when I answered with the abrupt hello there were silence so I immediately put the phone down

They didn’t ring back

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jun 2022 16:37

I told one scammer that my wife had just died so get off the line as I was waiting for the undertakers to ring back with a collection time.

Another one I have used a few times is to say yes, I did have an accident and pretend to start sobbing that I can't talk about it as the memory of the blood, sirens and bodies is too painful.

If they can lie to me, I can lie back !!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jun 2022 16:56

:-D :-D :-D BrianW

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Jun 2022 22:10

OH always asks which accident they are talking about, and they never know!! :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jun 2022 22:36

Some good responses there! :-D :-D :-D

I've tried asking them which car it was, of my many.
I sometimes, just put the phone (still connected) down on the table, so their phone bill increases, and they can't scam anyone else.
But this morning, I was in the middle of a delicate 'operation', and didn't like being disturbed by a scammer!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2022 09:41

I once asked the car crash caller which of my many cars had been in a crash and which member of my large family had been driving. Or was it my numerous staff. :-S

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Jun 2022 15:12

Asking them a question is always a good move.
E.g. I know the renewal date af my kitchen appliance insurances as they are all the same apart from one so the "Yourwashing machine insurance needs renewing" in any other month is a scam.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Jun 2022 16:24

Why speak to them at all?
I never answer calls from numbers I don't know.

If it's a "real" call, the person will leave a message .

Scammers/sales people don't bother leaving messages.
Eventually they stop phoning if nobody ever answers.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Jun 2022 17:05

I don’t have all my contacts listed on my landline so don’t always know who is calling.
The heat also affects it and the phone no longer gives us a name as it didn’t just now :-P

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2022 11:34

Argyll

When the hospital rings it’s number withheld or unknown caller so I feel obliged to answer just in case

But it’s still abrupt hello and if they ask to speak to me by name ..I,m still abrupt on “who are you?”

Once I,ve established it’s a genuine call then I am friendly and also apologetic for my abrupt caution Most times it’s met with a laugh and don’t worry i,m not selling anything! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jun 2022 11:57

Along with the phone calls I don’t like the people who knock on your door, often wearing official looking name tags, who proceed to tell you ‘not to worry it is nothing worrying’ no it’s not. They are just offering to advise me on new windows etc but are not selling :-S :-P