General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 18 Jun 2022 15:03

Help can anyone tell me where I can find out information about a divorce? I'd like to look up a divorce certificate (historic not mine) but cannot find any easy way of finding it

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Jun 2022 15:12

Some divorce records survive in the National Archives in Kew

It might also be worth taking a look at newspapers or possibly The London Gazette for notices. Assuming that we are talking of England.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Jun 2022 17:21

FMP hold these…depends what date you are looking for.

Divorce Index
Discover if your ancestor brought a suit forward in the Court of Divorce and Matrimonial Causes between 1858 and 1903. This index may reveal when your ancestor made their petition to the court as well as the name(s) of the individual(s) the case was brought against.

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Jun 2022 18:04

Google -
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

The following records are available to view online:

Divorce case files for England and Wales, 1858-1916 at Ancestry.co.uk (charges apply). The original records are held under reference J 77/1/A1 to J 77/1063/2238

Each divorce suit created a case file. The National Archives holds case files for all divorces from the Supreme Court 1858-1937 – very few case files survive after 1937.
The survival rate of divorce case files is:
1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937: less than 0.2%

More information within the sections