General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor Puppy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Mar 2023 22:19

We are getting a 15 week old Guide Dog puppy on Sunday, if all goes well, to look after for about a year. Our last one went off to advanced training a couple of months ago.

It was being "Puppy-raised" by an elderly gentleman who lived on his own and died unexpectantly, it is thought Sunday afternoon.

The alarm wasn't raised until yesterday evening so the poor puppy was on its own with his body for between two or two and a half days, with no food or water or access to a toilet area.

It was checked out at a vets and found to be dehydrated and starving with a urinary infection, which is being treated. We will have to treat it very gently not only physically but mentally as well as it was very distressed.

Hopefully, it will make a full recovery in time and go on to be partnered with a visually impaired person.

We dread to think what would have happened if the alarm hadn't been raised for several more days.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Mar 2023 22:27

Poor man - and poor puppy.
I'm sure, with your experience with dogs, the puppy will make a full recovery <3 <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Mar 2023 23:22

Poor man, and poor puppy.

Like maggie, I'm also sure that your experience with puppies will help you to give that puppy all the support he/she needs to become a super guide dog.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Mar 2023 08:16

What an awful thing to happen.
Poor man and poor young puppy.

Hopefully, with your family's experience and patience, the youngster can go on to lead a full and happy life.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 30 Mar 2023 10:08

Oh the poor man <3. Hopefully, the puppy is young enough to put that experience behind him/her with your love and care :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 2 Apr 2023 19:29

Well, we've got him home and he seems to be settling in - fingers crossed.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Jan 2024 21:48

The puppy (Errol) who came under sad circumstances in April at 15 weeks old stayed with us until last Wednesday when we took him to Reading to start his intensive training.
So we had him for just over nine months, he got over the trauma and has been a real pleasure.
As usual, we are missing him terribly, but you know that your time with them is limited from when you are first given them.
Our German Shepherd (a withdrawn GD pup) is missing him too!
God speed Errol, show the trainers what you can do, please make us proud and qualify in about a year as a fully fledged Guide Dog to change someon's life.
So now waiting to see if and when we will be given another pup to keep for around a year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2024 22:16

Well done, Brian! <3

I'm sure Errol will go on to make you proud. :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jan 2024 09:19

It must be so hard to part with the young dogs, even though you know from the beginning that they are with you for a limited time.

Well done Brian and family and well done Errol, who will go on to make such a difference to someone's life.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jan 2024 18:18

Would that place be in Burghfield Common?

BrianW

BrianW Report 14 Jan 2024 21:56

Yes, ZZzzz

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jan 2024 22:04

I go past it on my way to Reading now and again, it's not far from where I live. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Jan 2024 00:31

Sounds like you have done a great job with Errol and he will go on to be a big support dog

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2024 02:57

Well done, Brian <3

and well done, Errol <3

Is the German Shepherd now your dog permanently??

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Jan 2024 09:37

Sylvia,
Jerome has been ours for exactly two years yesterday.
Six months before that we were asked to foster him for "two or three weeks" which got extended and extended so when it was finally decided that he would be withdrawn from training we applied to re-home him as he had become part of our family.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2024 12:39

Lucky Jerome! <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2024 19:12

Indeed, lucky Jerome!

An American friend of ours many years ago had a golden Lab female that had been withdrawn from Guide Dog Training.

She'd actually failed one of the very last tests, which was to climb a ladder, walk across a glass panel and down a second level. She climbed the ladder OK, but froze when she had to put her paws on the glass sheet.

She was a lovely family dog, but was terrified when she was introduced to small puppies from a neighbour's Lab. Terrified again! She eventually had puppies of her own, and seemed OK with them, from what we heard.

I'm afraid that I could never understand that test!

BrianW

BrianW Report 16 Jan 2024 21:30

That test is bizarre.
Were they traning her for a circus? !!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2024 22:36

It sounds like it, doesn't it? :-D :-D :-D