General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My sperm donor and me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 29 Sep 2023 17:04

Only on BBC iplayer, but a very interesting programme.

Apparently 1st Oct 2023 is the date that donor conceived people as they reach 18 can apply for the name and last known address of their donor. This is extra to the info they already have re description of the donor and country of origin.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Sep 2023 18:13

I must try and watch it. It is only for children born after 2005 I think. I expect older ones will start to complain.

I’m not sure that it is right. It is one thing if a couple had some sort of relationship but this is different.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Sep 2023 07:59

The next DNA secrets includes a story about looking for the egg donor. I pity the poor donors w ho did a good deed without expecting these sorts of repercussions.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 30 Sep 2023 08:48

I think the donors were able to be anonymous previously, and during the TV programme they said that they lost a lot of donors when the rules changed 18years ago. One donor was pleased to have an extra daughter alongside his own.
Searching for a donor by DNA will only uncover the same results as an incorrect father, and as any family connection, they can refuse to respond, as we all here know.

Try to watch the programme, it explains a lot.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 20 Jan 2024 13:21

Bumping