General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spiders.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Oct 2023 13:02

Is anyone else having more spiders than usual this year? We seem to and find it hard to keep up with them.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Oct 2023 14:22

Yep

Big uns with huge legs .,

Cat was very very curious of curtains in lounge

Was circling and getting agitated so took a look and omg was the most enormous spider on the ceiling above the curtains

Swiped it only for it to fall behind the curtain and hiding

Fast forward and the enormous spider was on the floor and cat was get it!,

I rescued and put outside into the garden

Spiders don’t bother me especially as they keep down flies etc

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Oct 2023 14:31

We had one as big asa teaplate, I managed to catch it and take it to the pavement at the front of the estate so hope it will go somewhere else, I don't kill them either.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2023 16:51

I love them!
Where I used to live, there were hedges either side of the gate.
I must have looked like I was doing some sort of strange genuflection as I carefully 'undid' one side of the inevitable cobweb that went above the gate, from one hedge to the other, so I could get to work! :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Oct 2023 19:09

Yuk they give me the heeby jeebies. Our cat eats them :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Oct 2023 19:43

We had a boxer dog that did that.

Allan

Allan Report 5 Oct 2023 22:03

Nothing wrong in eating spiders. At least you get a couple of legs each!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Oct 2023 22:06

:-D :-D :-D :-D Allan , with the big ones you have over there you would get a good helping too :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 Oct 2023 22:46

You bet...food with a bite :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 5 Oct 2023 22:53

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2023 23:28

I should detest spiders - and did for quite a few years.

When I was about 6, we lived at Covesea Caravan Park, Lossiemouth, Scotland.
The beach had lovely dunes.
As the youngest of 4 - my siblings are 5, 6 and 7 years older than me - one of them was meant to 'look after' me.
More often than not, I'd turn left, they'd run to the right!!
This didn't bother me, but if we arrived home at different times, it was always my fault!

One very windy day, I was enjoying myself on the dunes when something hit me with some force, in the chest. I looked down - there was a huuuge spider, and coming off it, all over me, were hundreds of baby spiders :-0
I tried to wipe them off. Looking back, I was rather traumatised.
When I got home, I realised I couldn't say anything, for comfort, as no-one had witnessed it.
Mother would find out I'd been out on my own.

For years, I was afraid of spiders - then I had my first child.
I didn't want them to be afraid of anything in nature - wary, yes, but not frightened, so I set out to 'find' spiders.

That mother spider hadn't deliberately hit me in the chest.

I found spiders, looked at them, and realised how beautiful they are (and harmless in the UK!!), and how much good they do.

I think it worked. My youngest, when she was 6, 'saved' a male stag beetle from being crushed under a screaming woman's foot, by picking the beetle up!
She then went on to explain to the woman that the big claw-like things weren't there to bite her.

My eldest found a lone baby rat on a train station and brought it home.
That rat became her pet - and she was the most lovely little thing - much more intelligent - and cleaner - than the 'fancy' rats my children got after she died

That doesn't mean I'll put up with wild rats or mice in my house - there are limits!
They're wild, and should be able to find their own homes in their 'wild territory'!

I really don't like flies - dirty things - but those gorgeous spiders eat them :-D

Allan

Allan Report 5 Oct 2023 23:49

Over here some of the spiders eat birds as well :-(

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 6 Oct 2023 08:45

What did Mum always say

If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive. :-D <3

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 6 Oct 2023 09:26

LaGooner, I didn't see any big spiders while I was there, maybe I scared them off. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Oct 2023 09:28

Exactly what my mum said Maddie :-D <3

My girls really dislike spiders, but we all use the clear yoghurt pot and a piece of thin card eviction method.... Like Maggie, I'd much rather have a stray spider indoors than have flies :-|

So far this season, we've seen very few spiders indoors.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Oct 2023 10:52

Our pre nup agreement ( ;-)) was that OH would have to deal with the spiders.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 6 Oct 2023 12:29

I'm not seeing many spiders but a lot of their webs, both inside the house and outside in the garden. In our family the indoor webs are called Mother's lace curtains, so I happily leave them if not too big!

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 7 Oct 2023 06:37

Not seen any indoors, but plenty in the garden going by the amount of times I have collected a face full of cobweb when I've been out there!