General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA test

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 12 Oct 2023 19:44

I am thinking of using a DNA test for research. Any advice?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Oct 2023 21:02

There are several companies you could choose. Ancestry has the largest data base and you cannot up,iAd other results TO Ancestry but you can for most companies FROM Ancestry.

Ancestry only dies Autosomnal testing - both male and female. They now indicate your matches are from one or the other parent. But it is down to you to w or out which is which.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Oct 2023 21:46

What are you hoping to find? Matches can be even more confusing than the tree matches you can find. And you need to always consider the possibility that you might find things out that you didn't expect.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Oct 2023 21:50

Do it... I found my Mums missing Dad solving a 100 year mystery . it also confirmed my tree was correct . :-D

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 13 Oct 2023 06:39

Definitely do it. Mine helped somebody else more than me.

I had an unexpected match with a 2nd cousin in Canada. Unbeknown to me, I had an Uncle who emigrated to Canada, and lodged with a couple in Ontario. Unbeknown to this couple's daughter, he had an affair with the wife shortly before the daughter was born. She was told at her Father's funeral that he may not have actually been her Father, as her Mother was rumoured to have been carrying on with the lodger. Her DNA match with me confirmed that this was indeed the case.

As Grannyfranny says though, bear in mind that you just might find something that you didn't want to.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Oct 2023 08:30

If you do test and are matched with people through DNA links, be prepared for some possible hard work researching their trees to find where there can be a possible common ancestor.

Some people have posted an outline tree, so it is easier to work out the link, other people may have just tested on a whim and don't necessarily have any real interest in family history, so have no idea of family names when they are contacted.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 13 Oct 2023 08:59

Adding to what Gwyn said, just because a tree is attached to a dna profile doesn’t make it any more correct than the usual bad trees.